Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Special - Volume issue

Figstrum

Hello fellow Epiphoniacs,

This guitar drops a little bit of volume when switching from the neck to the bridge. The neck sounds full and bassy, but the bridge sounds a little weak and with a slight volume drop. I know the bridge is supposed to be bright and not as bassy as the neck, but it seems more of a volume issue than tone.

Any suggestions?

I survived tonight by lowering the neck volume knob to match the bridge, and controlling the guitar volume through the amp. :)

Raise the bridge pickup! Turning the two pickup height adjustment screws clockwise will move the pickup closer to the strings, getting you more volume. Raise it a bit, then compare it to the neck pickup, and repeat until they are about equal.

The bridge is pretty high already. Should I lower the neck a bit???

I forgot to mention, this guitar has not been played in about three years. When I got it, the strings were black. I just got it back from the guitar shop. It was getting a tune-up.

Could be the bridge contacts on the switch are fouled.

Did they clean and test the switch at the shop?

I wanna say that the tech did it. I asked him to open the it up and at least contact clean all of those contacts. Something is a little off. I noticed it when playing it clean that it drops off volume. I might have to take it back, or somethwere else.

On most guitars I've seen, there is a definite height difference between neck and bridge, neck being much lower. Something to do with the string vibration being less restricted by the bridge in relation to location of the neck pickup. The string doesn't move as freely near the bridge as it does further up the neck. Are we talking bridge pup is tinny and thin? Or just brighter and not as "present"? Sink that neck pup down almost to the pickup ring and see what happens.

On most guitars I've seen' date=' there is a definite height difference between neck and bridge, neck being much lower. Something to do with the string vibration being less restricted by the bridge in relation to location of the neck pickup. The string doesn't move as freely near the bridge as it does further up the neck. Are we talking bridge pup is tinny and thin? Or just brighter and not as "present"? Sink that neck pup down almost to the pickup ring and see what happens.[/quote']

I would say thin. It doesn't stay in the same volume wave as the neck. It was fine the other night when I lowered the neck volume to a 6 and the bridge to 10. And even then, the neck still overpowered the bridge.

My bridge is much closer to the strings than the neck. At least that is the way I believe it is supposed to be. Just like "Stumblin's Dusty". Just kiddin' man, I appreciate your help. I think it might be something with the internal wiring.

By the way, Stumblin, are those P90s in ur axe?

Always lower the neck before raising the bridge pup. The string amplitude is much higher at the eck position' date=' hence the dramatic volume increase.[/quote'] This is "sound" advice [thumbup] My bridge pup is a good amount higher than the neck (neck pup is about flush w/ the ring). Stock Epi pups, I just lowered the neck until the volume is basically equal switching from one to the other. As far as the stockers go, I prefer using the neck or the neck/bridge combo - the bridge itself is a lil shrill to these old ears, but .... nothing I can't fix with eq.

I just have to ask, Is the P-94 in the neck position a P-94R? If it is an R, the output between the BB2 and the P-94R are very close to each other. (BB2-8.4K...P-94R-8.1K) However, if you have a P94T, the output is higher @ 9.1k and of course; would be hotter than your bridge. I must say, the string height shown in the photo looks high overall to me. Maybe it's just the photo?

Faded....

Those are Stumblinman's photos of his LP...

My comment still stands. However, without knowing what the actual measurements are (pickup screw to string bottom) it could just be the photo.

Faded... >>>>>

^Its all personal taste man, if that set up suits his style, good for him! You'd be surprised of all the different ways I have to set up a guitar. Some things just feel better over another to a particular player.

FIG

How many knobs does the special have? It could be the wiring. Cold solder joint, dirty/dead pot, faulty wire, cap, ground, all could cause a drop in volume.

What else does it do? Listen closely and experiment with the controls. Also make sure your amp or room isn't tricking you. Room modes wreak hell on how much of an audio source we actually hear. If you're in a corner or a small room, get out of there and see if it improves, and even in the case it does not, try to make your adjustments in the best sounding place (i.e. most accurate sounding) you can.Is anything scratchy? Are they all functioning properly? Is the taper correct for the given control? Any extra noises in the signal? Just start troubleshooting those and try to determine if you have a weak bridge pup or strong neck.

^Its all personal taste man' date=' if that set up suits his style, good for him! You'd be surprised of all the different ways I have to set up a guitar. Some things just feel better over another to a particular player. [/quote']

Musikron,

Easy dude, My comment / observation was just that, and nothing more. In reviewing my earlier post, I don't see where I wrote anything about removing personal setup freedom. So in the future, please just read the black lines and not in between them. The white spots are blank for a reason. At this point, I don't feel anything you do would surprise me.

Faded...

FIG

How many knobs does the special have? It could be the wiring. Cold solder joint' date=' dirty/dead pot, faulty wire, cap, ground, all could cause a drop in volume.

What else does it do? Listen closely and experiment with the controls. Also make sure your amp or room isn't tricking you. Room modes wreak hell on how much of an audio source we actually [i']hear[/i]. If you're in a corner or a small room, get out of there and see if it improves, and even in the case it does not, try to make your adjustments in the best sounding place (i.e. most accurate sounding) you can.Is anything scratchy? Are they all functioning properly? Is the taper correct for the given control? Any extra noises in the signal? Just start troubleshooting those and try to determine if you have a weak bridge pup or strong neck.

Good advice, Musikron, Thank you. Now that you mention it.... I think the pickup selctor switch is scratchy when switching. Hmmmm.... The neck is definetly much stronger than the bridge. They are both original 490r/490t in a four knob SG special. I'm gonna keep playing with it, and see (hear) what happens. This axe has not been played in about three years. Who knows what is going on?? Thanks again sir for you reply.

FIG' date='

Easy dude, My comment / observation was just that, and nothing more. In reviewing my earlier post, I don't see where I wrote anything about removing personal setup freedom. So in the future, please just read the black lines and not in between them. The white spots are blank for a reason. At this point, I don't feel anything you do would surprise me.

Faded...[/size']

Faded.... What??? I'm oblivious to what you are referring to. I dont think I was part of that discussion.

Faded.... What??? I'm oblivious to what you are referring to. I dont think I was part of that discussion.

Figstrum,

My apologies, my comments were directed to Misikron...

Faded... #-o

Sorry' date=' been neglecting this thread. If it still matters this much later, my neck pup is a P-94R. String height looks exaggerated in that picture for some reason. Still haven't dusted off my guitar though..[/quote']

Hahaha...... Stumblin's Dusty!!! Sounds like band name!

Archived