Gibson Brands Forums

dowels for epiphone special ii

the Frycook

I have a a epiphone special ii with broken dowels and seeming as I can't afford a proper repair I was wondering what size dowels to get to replace the broken dowels seeming as I have no experience in guitar repair

Dowels ???? Is this to repair a previous repair , where they used dowels ??? Any pics ??? ... might clarify things a bit

I'm probably usig the wrong term you know the small wooden rods used to connect the neck to body

Boy, oh, boy - (Gotta think European) - I just completely

stripped down an LP special II, mine used Metal Screws to

fasten neck to body...

Are you able to take pic(s) and post? If not sure how,

can you get pic and post as your AVATAR? (Better than

nothing!).

sorry about the wait heres an image it's hard to make out because I only had a web cam to take the picture

15f0d04349.jpg

the four screws have worked loose and the wood they where drilled into became gnarled I tried the match-stick trick(placing match sticks in the gap and re-inserting the screws) but this wasn't a great or long term solution any tips to help sort this problem would be greatly appreicated as I 'd like to have my guitar back

Wow!! the best solution would probably be to seperate the body/neck, fill the screw-holes(in the neck) with a mixture of either epoxy or high strength wood glue, and sawdust, then when completely cured carefully re-drill the holes, and either use the correct thread tap OR slowly work the screws in & out of the holes after lubing them with bar-soap to re-tap the threads.

If you use the screws to do the tapping, go in no more than 1 turn, remove, and clean the screw, 1 more turn, remove & clean, etc. etc. until they all bottom out(with the body & metal plate in place).

Also, don't drill the holes any larger than the "shaft" of the screw, not counting the thread depth.

It's going to be a semi major repair at any rate, to "have your guitar back" and have it reliable.

Alternately, you COULD drill the holes in the plate and the body to a larger diameter and just use larger screws, but, you risk splitting the neck heel and body pocket if you do that.

Yep - appears the screw holes in the neck have been

stripped, probably from overtightening the screws. You may

have to/choose to repair all 4 screw holes to ensure a solid

mechanical bond between neck and body.

Based on your pic, first order of business - get the string tension OFF! [cool]

(Unless you like the action that high.... heh, heh, heh...)

I would use wood/carpenter's glue and soft wood dowels very close to

screw hole size, and cut just slightly shorter than depth of hole to fill in stripped holes.

Then, you'll need to drill small pilot holes in dowels (slightly SMALLER than

diameter of screw - will allow screw to go back in without causing

excessive outward pressure and splitting neck wood). When I say diameter

of screw, I mean the central metal shaft, not the threads...

Easier than it sounds. Just let glue dry overnight before drilling pilot holes.

I'm posting a vid link AND a quick view of same vid - go to link to read the

comments at bottom of vid screen. The fellow in vid uses "matchsticks" and

glue, but I think Matchsticks would be too flimsy for a neck joint.

Actual link:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

once I get some wood glue and some fresh strings hopefully I'll be back in business

Hey Fry' date='

When it's rock hard... you rock hard man[biggrin] !

eggmuffins

thanks for the advice once I get some wood glue and some fresh strings hopefully I'll be back in business

You will - just drill pilot holes as straight as you can, and don't

overtighten the screws.

Archived