Gibson Brands Forums

LP Special II GT vs. LP100?

Typhfuun

Each of them are at around the same price range, ($235 & $310 respectively) and I was wondering which one I should get! I'm going at around $450 for a budget, but that's including a case, strap, stand, and a VOX Amplug. The amplug alone is around fifty bucks.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8156/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Special_II_GT.htm

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1230/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/LP_100_Bolt-on_Neck_Ebony_Finish.htm

But yeah. The reason I like the Special II GT is that it strays from the usual Les Paul designs. It isn't a carved top, and it has that special integrated volume control/killswitch feature. And of course, the tremolo bridge. And then the LP100 is affordable, but still with all the looks and tone of a Les Paul that I can't afford, haha. What I like about it is that...

It's shiny.

Yes.

The only reason I like it is 'cause it's shiny.

Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Anyways, maybe there's a way to apply a polyurethane finish to the Special II GT? Agh, I dunno.

I'm looking for what's better in terms of features and quality.

Thank you!

I would spend $39 more and get a G400. Better tuners, better wood, set neck, better everything. And it will sound much better.

If you have to get an LP, Guitar Center has the LP standard, blemished, for $39 more as well.

Both of these guitars are WAY better for just a little more. Think about it.

"I'm looking for what's better in terms of features and quality."

If that's true, then you won't get the 100 or the Special. They are vastly inferior.

Im with Brad; for $299 you can get the " faded " G400. A very nice looking guitar and I think much better build quality. I think a few members here have them and Im considering picking one up for a gigging guitar.

I see your dilemma - L and McQ's prices are in Canadian $$$.

You want the most bang for the buck. I've taken the liberty of

linking to their site on the EPI section, and arranging the gits

from lowest price to highest price:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/12/0/294/1/

You seem to be in the same boat I was in after deciding to

re-join the "Rock and Roll Army" after a long absence in the

military. I kept looking at gits, but kept looking at the LOWER

priced ones. Wanted a GIT, but not too expensive.

Are you an LP fan, or could you go SG?

At the bottom of the first page of link are 5 SET-Neck SGs, but

$80 Canadian higher than the $310 you mention.

On the next page are LP Studios, not shiny ebony, and $120 higher

than the $310 again.

After much hemming and hawwing, I went for a "Worn Brown" LP

Studio, haven't looked back since, owned 8 electrics at one point,

whittled back down to the 4 you see in my signature line. I love my

studio, and of course, did a bit of upgrading (personal choice). I've

owned a few bolt-on neck gits, still have two, but would grab a set-neck

IF possible. Just MY thoughts.

Throw some feedback our way, let's open up this dialog so we can

help you decide where to go....

:-k

100_0495.jpg

Im with Brad; for $299 you can get the " faded " G400. A very nice looking guitar and I think much better build quality. I think a few members here have them and Im considering picking one up for a gigging guitar.

Faded??? What Ty wants (nay needs[biggrin] !) is something 'shiny' like the Qing Dao Lass:-" !

qingdaolass.jpg

Rock on!

eggmuffins

ok, i bought an lp-100. i love the guitar, it sounds amazing, but for features with the 400 you get covers, setneck, and trap inlays. i was torn between the two myself, i went and sat down with both and am happy with my choice but would have been happy either way! tough decision but its up to personal preference. i like the lp better myself based on looks. if i couldve gotten the standard i would have for sure but it wasnt in the cards for me. im not very experienced so my opinion is a bit uneducated but the lp-100 is a nice guitar with beautiful sound and a mahogony body. if the choice is between the gt and 100, the 100 is better for sound quality, you can always use the pup selector as a kill switch like tom morello does. i actually installed one myself into my dean recently, minimal work, and not to much money, like 10 bux.

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback, guys! All the efforts to help this poor lost newbie guitarist are all very much appreciated! C:

Anyways, it seems like the 100 is the one I would get! But it also sounds like I could get much more quality in something a bit more pricey.

You see, I've got Canadian $450 at my disposal. Actually, my 16th birthday's on June 8th! I might get some more funds from then. And so if I do... I would go for the Studio or something!

More details... I prefer a Les Paul, along with a glossy finish. I dunno, worn is also a good option. I also like the tremolo bridge, but I guess that'd come with higher end models that I couldn't possibly afford without a (good) job, ha ha!

I'm reading all your suggestions and feedback; thanks for making the effort, guys!

Wow' date=' thanks for all the great feedback, guys! All the efforts to help this poor lost newbie guitarist are all very much appreciated! C:

Anyways, it seems like the 100 is the one I would get! But it also sounds like I could get much more quality in something a bit more pricey.

You see, I've got Canadian $450 at my disposal. Actually, my 16th birthday's on June 8th! I might get some more funds from then. And so if I do... I would go for the Studio or something!

More details... I prefer a Les Paul, along with a glossy finish. I dunno, worn is also a good option. I also like the tremolo bridge, but I guess that'd come with higher end models that I couldn't possibly afford without a (good) job, ha ha!

I'm reading all your suggestions and feedback; thanks for making the effort, guys![/quote']

With that money, I'd say LP Studio. Faded or gloss. Surprised it hasn't shown up on this thread yet (maybe I skimmed over it!).

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone who's still followin' me here, and to everybody who posted a reply, Thank you so much! I've kept all of it in mind.

I've upped the price that I would pay for a guitar. I've opted for a higher-end model, choosing between three that I have so far. Any other kind suggestions would be really appreciated! Here they are:

Les Paul Custom: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1229/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Custom_Ebony_with_Gold_Hardware.htm

Les Paul Black Beauty: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1249/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Black_Beauty.htm

Iceman: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3202/Guitars/Electric/Ibanez/ICT700_Iceman.htm

Now it matters not how much I'll be killing my poor wallet. :-

Not a small increase in price ragne that! For around 800 $ you can almost get a Gibson LP Jr, which I wold rather have than an Epiphone BB or that Ibanez.

Honestly, I kind of would suggest getting an Epi LP Standard. Well, try one first, but it's not a bad guitar for a new player and will save you money for a good amp.

But of the three you suggested, I would go with the LP Custom.

You should be able to find a used LP Standard for the $310. I can tell that this is the guitar that you truly want. If you buy anything else..yeah you'll be happy but you'll always have the LP Standard on your mind.

I'd say neither the special or the LP100 are worth having. The minimum I'd say is worth owning is an epi studio. You're already on the budget end by chosing epi over gibson, don't keep trying to push the lower end of budget.

The Les Paul Standard is a great first guitar. I've been playing for 5 years, 3 of which with an Epi Standard and I wouldn't really upgrade it without jumping up to a Gibson which I'm not ready for yet. Studio is just as good souding and as good to play but not as pretty, something that's up to you. Custom isn't really much better, just "prettier." *

The special and LP100 are really false economy as you would need to replace them as you outgrow them quickly. I'd say it's much better to save up a couple of weeks more and get a studio or standard. Custom's pushing it a bit for a first guitar. My first guitar was a cheapo Squier and that was really false economy, I ended up spending the difference on a second hand Digitech GNX 1 pedal (RRP was £240 at the time but I got it for £100) just to make it bearable. It was cheap and nasty and it couldn't be properly set up because the bridge was in the wrong place. I should have just gone straight to Epi.

Having a decent amp helps too, I started with the crappy 10W squier amp it came with and just played clean but with the effects pedal; but I saw a vast improvement by getting a Vox AD30VT.

Regarding tremolos you mentioned, there's not much point of getting a les paul with a tremolo. They kill tone and sustain. The main reason Les Paul became an icon is because of the Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece which are great at getting the vibrations into the wood for great tone and sustain.

So my vote is for a Studio or Standard, depending on how you weight up looks vs price.

*(depending on the model, they have fancier binding and inlays and things but I never liked the gold hardware, speed knobs and black pickguard; I can only really stand it in ebony or white but I like seeing the wood grain.)

Archived