Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Custom - Fake??

kiddakidda

Well' date=' 165GBP = 240.57USD.

It does have Epi-branded tulips. (New ones have Grover D-tips).

It DOES have 3 VOLUME and 1 TONE knob.

It does have BLACK 3-way tip (new ones are reddish/orange).

The pups stickers say GIBSON, all mine have said "EPI".

Hmmmm....

[b']Have you pulled a pup or 2 away from body to see stickers and/or

engraving on back?[/b]

Don't know the manufacturing specs of G-400 custom back then.

IF it plays decently, for 165Gbp/240.57USD, you may have a steal!

It doesn't work like that, I would love it if it did! If a guitar costs $500 in the US it will cost £500 over here, that's around $900!

Well' date=' 165GBP = 240.57USD.

It does have Epi-branded tulips. (New ones have Grover D-tips).

It DOES have 3 VOLUME and 1 TONE knob.

It does have BLACK 3-way tip (new ones are reddish/orange).

The pups stickers say GIBSON, all mine have said "EPI".

Hmmmm....

[b']Have you pulled a pup or 2 away from body to see stickers and/or

engraving on back?[/b]

Don't know the manufacturing specs of G-400 custom back then.

IF it plays decently, for 165Gbp/240.57USD, you may have a steal!

Hi,

I have pulled out the Neck pickup and it does have an Epiphone engraving and neck pickup label/sticker.

Well it seems QC let it slide then huh' date=' my bad, but as i said it was just my OPPINION. enjoy playing, she is rather beautiful, and the TRC can be re-alligned, and volume and tone knobs can be replaced.[/quote']

I totally understand and apreciate your opinion. I think I should stop worrying and start to enjoy playing like you said. [cool]

It's Real.

It's real nice too.

I owned a G-400 Custom until last December and

even when I showed it on a forum once I got a bunch of "That's a Fake!!" replies simply because of a few things that were just manufactured differently at the time. Saien Korea made Epiphones until 1997, and I suppose there is a reason why they no longer make them.

That's an old Unsung Korea made G-400 Custom you have there, it looks incredibly nice

and it has all of the markings of factory stickers that I've seen on real Epiphones.

Stop worrying and Enjoy That Guitar.

Band Practice last night and my fellow guitarist bought along his SG which was made in the same factory. His guitar certainly looked a better finish in some areas but there was not much in it. The electrics back plate was the same size/shape which was a concern before. The method of applying the serial number was also the same.

It seems to be swinging to the side of real on the forum as well. [crying]

My older brother had one of these in 2001 and I remember clearly it having similar issues to yours, it was NOT a well put together guitar but it was genuine. I have played the newer ones and they are much better now.

Of course if you are still unsure, you can always e-mail those pictures to Marcelo Pineda at Gibson Customer Service - service.europe@gibson.com - he always gets back to you reasonably quickly and he's a great help.

My older brother had one of these in 2001 and I remember clearly it having similar issues to yours' date=' it was NOT a well put together guitar but it was genuine. I have played the newer ones and they are much better now.

Of course if you are still unsure, you can always e-mail those pictures to Marcelo Pineda at Gibson Customer Service - service.europe@gibson.com - he always gets back to you reasonably quickly and he's a great help.

[/quote']

Cheers Fantana, I'll do that.

Nice collection by the way. [crying]

This is starting to look iffy again.

The timber used is very light and not I would consider as Mahogany. I have seen pictures of SH SG Customs with chips on their bodies and the timber looks very dark indeed.

Emailed Gibson Europe in the hope of getting a definate answer. Contacted the seller as well who didn't say much and is sticking by his 5 year+ ownership story. [biggrin]

This is starting to look iffy again.

The timber used is very light and not I would consider as Mahogany. I have seen pictures of SH SG Customs with chips on their bodies and the timber looks very dark indeed.

Emailed Gibson Europe in the hope of getting a definate answer. Contacted the seller as well who didn't say much and is sticking by his 5 year+ ownership story. [confused]

Older G400s were made of Alder and Maple.

Hi All,

I thought I would update you as I have had a response from Marcelo at Gibson europe. Marcelo has concluded that he believes the Guitar to be geniune but also agrees that some of the faults look a bit suspicious but could be explained as 'cosmetic defaults'. He never mentioned the pickup stickers so I assume that they must have been used at some stage.

I have responded by mentioning what appears to be non mahogony construction but I have read in places that Epiphone in the 90's through to early 2000's would change wood constructions based on availabilty so I'm not sure.

I'm thinking for my own sanity that I may move this on as I have spotted a brand new one from an authorised dealer for around £329.00. There may be a bargain for someone here if they are interested.

Cheers.

Well we now know that it's a geniune Epi' date=' even if it does have it's flaws!

Good luck in finding one that you like [crying

Cheers Fantana,

Marcello was very helpful and came back within 24 hours.

Many Thanks.

Archived