Gibson Brands Forums

1958 Korina flying v re-issue

fuzzybutt

anyone here own one? what is it like as compared to the Gibson korina v? how different is it....besides the 6400 dollar price difference? i am by no means a professional player and since a nasty head injury afew years ago i've basically had to re-learn playing the guitar, i'm just a hacker that enjoys playing around the house, once in a while jamming with friends but i have no intention of playing out in front of people anymore. and are there any Epi flying v's that sell for even less than 499? as soon as i can get my large air compressor sold i am looking at getting a flying v

There are no Epiphone Vs with a lower RRP. However, Epiphone's Gothic series of guitars don't tend to sell too well, so it may be that you can find one with the price knocked down to clear it out, unlikely as it may be.

I can tell you that Epiphone's '58 Vs and Explorers are some of their best-made guitars. My Explorer is amazing in terms of quality and character, and I've played a few Vs from the same era ('04) that were every bit as good. In fact, as soon as my financial position betters itself, there will definitely be a new Gothic V in my collection to match my Explorer. [biggrin]

My 58 Korina was my first Epiphone and i now own 4 so l'd say that the V got me started on Epis and it did that by showing me what a great Guitar they could produce for the $.MIne is a 2000 from Korea but i recently played a new one from China and found it completely up to snuff although i like the neck on mine a little better. Still all in all ,,i totally recommend this guitar so ,,,GO for it i say To see mine in action cheack out my Youtube channel..Maniakmusik

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1977 Les Paul

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

I hope my buddy, Maniak won't mind my posting his video, but you just have to hear him rip it up on his Epi Flying V ... talk about The King of the Blues!!!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a pic of mine, bone stock except that I changed out all the black plastic for gold. It just seemed to go with the hardware better. The original pickup rings still remain, however.

Sany0116.jpg

It's a great guitar, bucky. Lightweight and comfortable ... a genuine classic! I've played mine on stage several times and recommend it highly!

Jim

No Jim ,,I dont mind at all,,post me whenever you want ,,I'm glad you like what i do enough to want to post it. Think i might have to get some gold knobs for my V that really looks good on yours ,,hope you mind if i copycat.Oh well ,,just got done smackin my garage sale ibanez around now its time for bed,,i bought an Epiphone case for it,, cost more than the guitar,, too funny huh.later,,Maniak

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1977 Les Paul

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

• 5 weeks later...
although i like the neck on mine a little better

How is it different? How's the neck on the new ones in other respect, say using your standard G measurements of 60s slim / 59 rounded / thicker 50s?

I have been gassing over a Korina V for a while now... Thanks to Albert King (not sure if his was made of Korina, though).

• 1 year later...

This is an absolutely great guitar!!!!

Being a snob, I pit Gibson Classic '57/'57 plus in it, but it worked great with stock pick ups, too. Now, I play it more then my LPs, it kicks *** out of them. If you can get one, don;t miss the chance.

@midiman56

Great sound, even better playing, you made my day.

I've got a bunch of Epi's, including a couple '58 V's. Nice guitars, well made. Highly recommend them. I always upgrade the PU's on my imports. I put a pair of Gibsons in my 'black pickguard-on-black' V, and my Korina came with a pair of DiMarzios (I put a black pickguard on it). Both look and sound great. I got them used online, in mint condition, each for under $300. Look around for deals. Don't know if Epi still makes '67 V's.

Hey, nice playing on that clip by 'Maniak'.

I own a White 2010 Limited edition version with Kluson Tuners.

SDC11507.jpg

Tho I've given it a complete gibson upgrade (CTS pots, SG Caps, Switchcraft & BB Pros) it's no slouch and will give a genuine Gibson a good run for its money!

A Gibson model is £6,200! Mine with the mods (Mostly imported from the USA) Cost in the end £450 roughly with luther costs

I also own 2 (Soon to be 3) Gibson Les Pauls so I am aware of the differences.

You do loose some "Wood" feel with the epiphone version but with the proper hardware inside its very hard to tell any difference in output...

Archived