Gibson Brands Forums

I need help identifying parts!

tpurgatoryt

Ok so here is the link to the guitar im getting:

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1634

an epiphone les paul special 2 GT

when i get i wish to upgrade it, with better humbuckers if i dont like the 650R/700T, new locking nut and some knew machine heads preferably locking grotohs, oh and a strap lock. i need help figuring out what size machine heads ill need, on the link there is the specs down the bottoms.

please help, thanks.

-Tpurg'

I'd give the stock pups a chance, if you're playing rock or metal they sound as if they might be good.

Also, I wouldn't bother with locking tuners AND a locking nut; I'd do one or the other. Those tuners are probably fine.

If I didn't have too many guitars already I'd be very interested in one of those, they look great for the price.

well yeah on my strat i play blues and soft rock.

i was planning to buy this for my rock and metal.

currently im ampless, i use my recording gear, i have a program that simulates amps, its actully really good.

but i do plan on buying a Roland cube 20x or 30x.

I'd say wait until you get the guitar too. You may be pleasantly suprised to find it needs less upgrading than you anticipate. There has been a lot of discussion here about the stock Epi pickups and some folks have found that upgrading the switch, output jack, pots and wiring and NOT the pickups made a bigger difference in tone.

I'd say wait until you get the guitar too. You may be pleasantly suprised to find it needs less upgrading than you anticipate. There has been a lot of discussion here about the stock Epi pickups and some folks have found that upgrading the switch' date=' output jack, pots and wiring and NOT the pickups made a bigger difference in tone.[/quote']

I agree, replacing pots, jack and wiring could be done for about £15.00 on that guitar. Pickups normally start at around £25.00 a peice upto £100.00 a PUP at the higher hand built end. And don't forget mods such as 'No Load' tone pots which some people say improves a Guitars sound/tone.

Sorry' date=' it makes no sense to me to mod a 140Euro (over here) guitar with anything...........[biggrin] [/quote']

For the fun and/or experience it provides?

Better to mess with a 140 Euro guitar than a 1400 Euro guit as a first go...

Play your git after you get it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I played with mine for two hours last night (heh, heh) - had no

problems hitting the lead bends, pinch harmonics, it's perfectly

intonated at this point, so chords sounded good all up and down the neck.

I will admit, the stock tuners are doo-doo, but I still have 'em on mine -

not a real hassle staying in tune, but obviously "they ain't Grovers".

Sure, it's considered an "entry-level" guitar, but that's what it's for -

to practice on until you become "worthy" of a higher grade git. In the hands

of a capable guitarist, you'd be surprised what it can do, and of course, the

AMP will also influence sound.

Interesting story - I went to a jam session/practice and the other guitar player

(who was semi-pro, had played in several bands in california for years) showed

up NOT with his usual guitar (Gibson LP) as it was in the "hock shop", but with

an EPI LP Special II. He plugged into his Line 6, tweaked some effects, and...

Sound was d@mn sure good enough for me. We ran thru set list, traded leads,

general jamming. This guy could have played a "Hello Kitty" guitar and pulled

it off... Soooooooo = PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!

100_0564.jpg

100_0565.jpg

I think it always will be an entry level guitar...

The mods you've planned are nearly half the way to the SG-400

Before I sold it to deflepfan' date=' I had a Seymour Duncan with coil split, and then a $120 Gibson P94 in that $78 bolt-on Junior. Also upgraded the the tuners, cap, output jack, and filed down all the fret ends.

In the end I put a DiMarzio copy in, and that guitar was da bomb. Don't take my word for it, ask Sheila.

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/Epi%20Jr%20Bolt/P1010229.jpg[/img]

Point I'm trying to make is there are no such thing as starter guitars, only starter guitarists. Animalfarm's post is a perfect example...

Before I sold it to deflepfan' date=' I had a Seymour Duncan with coil split, and then a $120 Gibson P94 in that $78 bolt-on Junior. Also upgraded the the tuners, cap, output jack, and filed down all the fret ends.

In the end I put a DiMarzio copy in, and that guitar was da bomb. Don't take my word for it, ask Sheila.

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/Epi%20Jr%20Bolt/P1010229.jpg[/img]

Point I'm trying to make is there are no such thing as starter guitars, only starter guitarists. Animalfarm's post is a perfect example...

FREAKIN' LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!!

Sheila

Archived