Gibson Brands Forums

Need info on my ''future'' guitar

Chris182

Hi folks

probably next month I'll be getting my second epi, a G-400 custom, ivory finish.

i've read mixed review about it especially on the pickup who are supposedly ''muddy''

is that true? is there other things that i should know about it?

i'lld like to know personal experience with the guitar if someone has one!

Thanks!

I don't have experience with them but I do know that people's opinions and definitions of terms like "muddy" are very subjective and unreliable. I mean the same pickups to two different people might be described as "muddy" by one and "clean" by another. It's really up to you (and your ability to fine tune a sound with your amp/effects). You are going to play the guitar before you buy it right? I think most bad reviews on musiciansfriend, GC, and harmony central come from people buying the guitar sight-unseen off the internet. And then they act like the guitar is crap because it's not what they THOUGHT it would sound like.

Edit: You can always check out you-tube as well. Thats what I do when I'm buying something that's not readily available for me to try out like some effects pedals.

Thank for the quick reply mbrooks!

I did check some video on youtube and i was really pleased with the sound, not much different than a normal G-400 but it was really the many review i read that put me in doubt about that muddiness.

As far as trying the guitar i don't know because i got to special order it from my local store, as they don't normaly have this particular model in store. I guess i could ask to try it when it arrive.

i will keep y'all updated

Thanks!

Hey, Chris ...

I promise you ... no, I'll GARANTEE you that if you liked the sound of a standard G-400, you will like the sound of the Ivory custom.

They both have the same electronics. The white paint will not have any effect on the tone of the guitar! [thumbup]

Jim

I had a standard (not Custom) 2006 G-400 with the stock Epi pick-ups.

As I understand it, MIDI-Man is quite right. The pick-ups are the same in the regular G-400 as well as the Custom.

I thought the Epi pick-ups were just fine...well actually, I thought they were great.

Make your mind up after you've owned the guitar for a while.

If I happened to be in the market for a G-400 Custom, I'd have to change that horrible orange selector-switch-tip long before I changed the pick-ups!

epi_g400_pic.jpg?t=1276524930vomit-smiley-31.gif

Hey thank you all for the replies!

I'll definetely try it out before buying, but i've played a faded g-400 the other day at the store and i was please with it, so the custom should be fine after all!

I'll order the guitar probably next month or in three weeks at best,just enough time to get the the ca$h. i'll post pic when i get her!

Not to mention, perceived "mud" can be cleaned up pretty nicely with a simple $30 Danelectro Fish & Chips 7-band eq pedal ..... well, it works well with my Epi LP (w/ stock Epi pups), anyway, running through a stock (and what some call "dark" sounding) Valve Jr amp (stock, as well). I doubt you'll be disappointed with the G-400 Custom [biggrin]

I thought that some of the "mud" in the G-400 custom (I noodled with a nice red one day at the guitar shop), was because of the way the pickups are wired to the selector. If I recall, the treble position on the selector blends the middle and bridge pickup, the middle gave the middle, and the rhythm position gave the neck and middle. Turning the volume down on the middle pickup seemed to help a lot.

I thought the standard PU's were good until I heard a 2 PU G400 with the Gibson 57 Classics fitted.

I now have them in mine

But thats just my opinion, you really just need to try and choose, especially if you try on your own rig or very similar, and see what you think for your sound.

Archived