Gibson Brands Forums

Removing the "E" from pickguard

trossit

HI,

I recently purchased a AJ-200S and realy like it. Only problem is, I realy don't like the "E" emblem on the pickguard. Last night I softened the adhesive under the emblem with alcholol and it popped right off. The bad news is, they (China) layed would looks a single drop of super glue under the emblem as extra assurance the double stick tape won't fail. I chipped away most of the glue with an exacto-knife and did some light sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper until smooth.

Next step will be to polish out the 2000 grit scratches on her pickguard. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to finish this job properly?

Thanks!

Okay, I'll try the post again, this time in the right place (i.e., THIS thread):

There are rubbing compounds that should do the trick. The more professional ones (e.g., 3M brand) are a bit expensive and hard to find in retail stores. One product that has worked for me in getting scratches out of a polyurethane finish is "Scratch Out" by Kit, the car wax manufacturer. I bought mine in a supermarket, but you'll probably find it in auto parts stores and hardware stores. There are two products bearing that name, one for removing the scratches from CDs and DVDs, and the other for auto finishes (I used the latter). They may be the same product in different containers.

One other product I've found useful for restoring guitar finishes is Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (for automobiles). It comes in a maroon bottle. I've been able to get it at the grocery store as well.

Both of these give off fumes, so you'll probably want to remove the residue with a bit of soap, water and a cloth.

OAG

You could also head to a hobby shop to see if they carry plastic polish. (Modelers use it to polish out clear canopies, as well as preparing styrene models for bare-metal finishes.) They'll sell it in smaller quantities, since you're not going to need a whole lot.

WD-40! (Known affectionately, in these parts, as "Panther Piss") Sparingly, of course. ;>)

Removes the adheasive, with no residue. And, yes...do use a clean 100% Cotton cloth.

As to the "super glue" removal...acetone (Nail Polish Remover), will work...just be careful

not to get it on the finish....only the pickguard. May take several attempts, too.

CB

a new pickguard might be easier and just as cheap as a can of polish!

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. I've heard over on the Gibson board, OEM guards go for more than a "C" note. Of course, if OEM is too spendy, one could go for an aftermarket guard. They aren't quite a proud of their guards.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. I've heard over on the Gibson board' date=' OEM guards go for more than a "C" note. Of course, if OEM is too spendy, one could go for an aftermarket guard. They aren't quite a proud of their guards. [/quote']

ya a genuine |Gibson guard is over $100 minimum, but the Epi's are around $20 if you can get one ordered from Epiphone. A better quality, thicker guard with a nice beveled edge from an aftermarket manufacturer in the exact same shape as the one on the Epi AJ-200 would be around $25 including shipping to your door. I'd go that route before putting acetone or some other strong solvent anywhere near my guitars!

Archived