Gibson Brands Forums

Legacy = Epiphone!

tpurgatoryt

yesterday when buying my new amp I came across a brand of guitars called Legacy.

I noticed that they resembled epiphone guitars down to the smallest details, like the head stock for example.

I asked one of the people who work there the comparison of epiphone and legacy,

and he said to me that legacy guitars come straight out of the epiphone factorys, they're just rebranded for sale in australia as legacy.

they are identical except for the head stock logo, and the stock humbuckers are EMG-HZ passives and a hardcase comes with the guitar.

check them out for yourself.

http://www.legacymusic.com.au/products/?id=3

It's common for Epi factories to churn out other brands as well (Samick have supplied Australia with Samick-badged models for a long time as well as making Epis), but that doesn't mean that they're the "same" guitar. I'm not sure if Legacy are made in an Epi factory or not but it wouldn't surprise me if that was true. However the guitars do have some differences besides the badging, which betray a different manufacturing process. Not just the logo but the headstock shape is different on the Legacy guitars, the position of the truss rod cover has changed, and other small details like the shape and screw positions of the scratch plates differ. Also, Legacy do a Fender Strat copy, Epi don't really do anything as close to the Fender Strat as the Legacy model picture in your link.

I have students who play Legacy guitars, one girl I used to teach had one of those "Emerald" series Les Pauls, it was light as a feather! Sounded quite good actually, although the electronics were shifty, the thing would crackle a lot. Legacy do fully-binded and blinged out LPs for the same price as an Epi Special II so you know there's some corners being cut somewhere along the line...

• 3 years later...

Just picked up a Legacy tele clone on Amazon for $89 shipped and the QC tag is indeed the same as on my Epiphone Special I that I got at the last Guitar center sale. Beautiful quality finish and electronics but had to dress EVERY fret end. Added brass compensated saddles and a fake Bigsby. I highly recommend this for anyone who can use a file.

post-57339-097097100 1400431046_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 7/5/2020 at 6:17 AM, DB Simmz said:

Does Epiphone have it's own legacy separate from Gibson?

this is an old thread that you are replying to

If I get the point of your question..  you are asking if Epiphone as a builder has a history that precedes Gibson?

if so, yes.  Epiphone was it's "own" company when it began in the late 1800s.

See this for more   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone

• 2 weeks later...