Gibson Brands Forums

New Masterbilt Model Suggestion

abbeyroadman

Hi (Epiphone and all acoustic forum viewers),

As evident by the Masterbilt guitar model line, Epiphone has demonstrated it can build very high quality guitars for a reasonable price. Would they possibly re-introduce an acoustic arch-top line (Masterbilt), similar to their Olympic or Triumph models from decades ago? I believe they could ....................

Regards,

Hi (Epiphone and all acoustic forum viewers)' date='

As evident by the Masterbilt guitar model line, Epiphone has demonstrated it can build very high quality guitars for a reasonable price. Would they possibly re-introduce an acoustic arch-top line (Masterbilt), similar to their Olympic or Triumph models from decades ago? I believe they could ....................

Regards,[/quote']

Wasn't the name "Masterbilt" originally used for an archtop, waaaaaaay back in the day?

Good heavens, there are SO many models they could stand to revive as Masterbilts (BluesMaster!!!)!

C'mon guys' date=' how many people are looking for arch top acoustics nowadays? I'm pretty sure the market demand just isn't there.[/quote']

There are several companies who make them in the same price range as the Masterbilts. The demand is there, it just isn't as strong as the demand for flat-top guitars. I wouldn't expect Epiphone to replace their entire line with archtops.

Godin 5th Avenue

The Loar H-600

Gretsch G100 Synchromatic

The Loar's headstock is actually the same as the original Masterbilt headstocks.

Hi -

To clarify, it's a suggestion to add an acoustic arch-top to the Masterbilt line, not replace the flat-tops. Thanks for sharing the info. about what's currently available, but at the end of the day, they're not Masterbilt's.

While the the market demand is not anywhere near that for flat-tops, there seem to be both an interest and buyers. Epiphone does make a lot of flat-top models, countless Les Paul models, and some electric hollow and semi-hollow arch-tops, so why not a pure acoustic arch-top, in the tradition of Masterbilt construction.

Regards,

I am not sure what the point would be of issuing a bent top (which it would have to be to keep the cost down) guitar? They are plenty of nice old non-Epi built ones out there at bargain basement prices.

I would, however, like to see Epi bring back the little Bluesmaster. That was one heck of a guitar for the money.

I've been hanging out around these parts off and on for a few years....haven't seen Epi increase their "Masterbilt" offerings at all......rather, they have discontinued at least 4 of their models and seem to have deleted all of the electric "Elitist" models.

I agree, Epiphone's Masterbilt line represents incredible value for the price they ask! Perhaps that is why parent company Gibson is reducing the Masterbilt line rather than expanding it....too much competition for "big brother"'s more expensive products?

Cheers from Dugly [cool]

Actually, Epiphone just added a new Masterbilt model a few months ago, the DR-500MCE.

The models that were discontinued were most likely bad sellers. From their website, they discontinued:

AJ-500RC 12-fret - 12-fret guitars haven't been terribly popular since Martin introduced the 14-fret guitar 80 years ago. Gibson offers two - the Robert Johnson L-1, which is a replica of his guitar, the other the Keb' Mo' Bluesmaster, which is based on those old guitars. Martin offers a handful, all based on early-20th century parlor guitars. The same argument can be used against an archtop, which is likely why Epiphone doesn't offer one.

EN-546CE - a classical guitar. Classical players don't look to Epiphone for a new guitar, and Epiphone players, in general, aren't interested in classical guitars.

MB-500 - a banjo. Despite the historic connection between Epiphone and banjos, today's Epiphone players aren't playing banjos, and banjo players have their own preferred brands.

UKE-500M - this was a $300 ukulele. The most popular ukulele on Musician's Friend is $80, followed by a ukulele-mandolin package for $90. Most ukuleles are bought as "toy" instruments.

That's a more probable suggestion.

What model would it be, though? When I think of acoustic 12-strings, I always go to Guild in my mind... something along these lines:

481212.jpg

If they wanted, they could make 6- and 12-string versions of the J-200, and satisfy two of my desires.

Actually' date=' Epiphone just added a new Masterbilt model a few months ago, the DR-500MCE.

[/quote']

Epi already had a DR-500M Masterbilt, adding a CE variant hardly qualifies as adding a new model, IMHO.

The models that were discontinued were most likely bad sellers. From their website' date=' they discontinued:

AJ-500RC 12-fret - 12-fret guitars haven't been terribly popular since Martin introduced the 14-fret guitar 80 years ago. [/quote']

I had to wait for 2 years for my AJ500RC.....special ordered one from Sweetwater online, who got 5 different promised delivery dates before Epiphone actually came through (yeah, I was about ready to give up!!)...they were in such high demand that all the outlets, both B&M and online, were "sold out" before their new stock arrived. Mine may well have been the last one made.....and there were many more forum members at the time who contacted me asking how I got mine. I gave them the name of the Sweetwater rep who managed to get mine, but he couldn't get any more. Even the largest Gibson dealer in Austin, TX, said they had been trying to get more stock from Epiphone for a long time, that the model sold out quickly every time they could get enough in.....it seemed pretty popular to me!

Right now my "collection" includes 7 all solid-wood guitars, prices ranging from $350 (used Washburn) to $4,000 (custom shop Breedlove....yep, a slot-headed, 12-fretter), but my AJ500RC is my favorite of the bunch! If Epiphone really wants to sell guitars, seems re-releasing the AJ500RC would be a good choice.....again, IMHO :-& !!

Cheers from Dugly [blink]

Hi -

Epiphone recently added 12-string to the acoustic line, the DR-212, DR-212 Click Here. There have been a few in local shops, but none were really set-up when I played them, and overall, were a disappointment.

The comment about Masterbilts as strong competition for Gibson is very much on-target. It would be good to see a Masterbilt 12-string, and I'll plug again for an arch-top.

Regards,

The DR-212 has been around for as long as I can remember. I thought about buying one two years ago, but read very mixed reviews.

The Roy Orbison Signature Bard is closer to Masterbilt quality, I assume, but I haven't had the chance to play one.

Hi -

Epiphone recently added 12-string to the acoustic line' date=' the DR-212, DR-212 Click Here. There have been a few in local shops, but none were really set-up when I played them, and overall, were a disappointment.

The comment about Masterbilts as strong competition for Gibson is very much on-target. It would be good to see a Masterbilt 12-string, and I'll plug again for an arch-top.

Regards,

I've played the 212. I agree--not at all impressed. others (inc. F....r) in the price range seemed much, much better, both in sound and playability.

Hi -

Yes, Epiphone does make another acoustic 12-string, the Roy Orbison model. It's well-hidden on their web-site, under the "Special Run Collection". It's even more "well-hidden" at dealers - I have never seen one at the many GC's in the greater metro D.C. I'm not sure why Epiphone's doesn't have their full-line of acoustic models at larger dealers, such as GC or the other big guitar shops. They seem to be content with just building some very good guitars. Getting the product(s) out to the public is another story, sadly.

Regards,

Maybe they don't have a fully dedicated and seperate sales team.

When things get hectic you always fall back to your sure things!

Depends a on the guy actually selling as well.

I was recently in Naples and saw a lot of Epiphones. Flatops, Arch tops...

In fact I saw a lot of guitars. And some beautiful Mandolins.

As for the thread of the discussionI think I would prefer a 12 string.

But as I have just bought my 5th guitar in 12 months my wife may not go for it.

Hi -

Yes' date=' Epiphone does make another acoustic 12-string, the Roy Orbison model. It's well-hidden on their web-site, under the "Special Run Collection". It's even more "well-hidden" at dealers - I have never seen one at the many GC's in the greater metro D.C. I'm not sure why Epiphone's doesn't have their full-line of acoustic models at larger dealers, such as GC or the other big guitar shops. They seem to be content with just building some very good guitars. Getting the product(s) out to the public is another story, sadly.

Regards,

[/quote']

A similar observation, that the dealers with the largest variety of Epi stock have been indies, not GC, Best Buy, etc. Curious!

Archived