Gibson Brands Forums

1994 Gibson Blues King...black...not sunburst or mahogany finish

andymac0035

Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about what I have. It was given to me back in 1997. It says Gibson Montana division on the hardshell case. Under model, it says blues king, and also says "1894-1994" 100 years, so I assume it is an anniversary model. I have been told that what I have is a throw-back to the original style L-00 because of the black (ebony?) finish. It also has white trim around the body (front and back).

I have pics...do I have to get them hosted or can I upload directly?

Thanks

-Andy

Thanks, yeah it does sound pretty nice.

I did a little searching around on here but couldn't find out too much about the L-00 or the blues king.

Are they not that common? Did seem like I saw a few people that were having a hard time trying to find one.

Thanks' date=' yeah it does sound pretty nice.

I did a little searching around on here but couldn't find out too much about the L-00 or the blues king.

Are they not that common? Did seem like I saw a few people that were having a hard time trying to find one.[/quote']

Very very pretty andy

If ever I saw a keeper that's one!

no, they're not that uncommon. that being said yours is the first re-issue i've seen in black. probably an exclusive to the centennial editions. i think there are about three available in VSB on ebay right now. the bona fide vintage ones that more closely resemble what you have come up from time to time as well. pretty pricey when they do. gibson makes a "legend" version of the L00 in VSB and it's very expensive. not all together certain if the blues king is still a regular production model, although, i think it is as i saw an '07 on ebay in the last week or two.

Very nice, yes it does look like mine aside from the sunburst. I will admit I'm wondering as to the value of what I have. I have been on the fence for a long time as to selling it vs keeping it. I'm more of an elecric player than acoustic, but when the mood stikes me this guitar never dissapoints. My wife is concerned I'll regret selling it, even though the person who gave it to me is an ex-girlfriend. I was going to "test the waters" on craigslist, but was not sure what to price it at. I figure the more I can learn about it the the better decision I can make.

Very nice' date=' yes it does look like mine aside from the sunburst. I will admit I'm wondering as to the value of what I have. I have been on the fence for a long time as to selling it vs keeping it. I'm more of an elecric player than acoustic, but when the mood stikes me this guitar never dissapoints. My wife is concerned I'll regret selling it, even though the person who gave it to me is an ex-girlfriend. I was going to "test the waters" on craigslist, but was not sure what to price it at. I figure the more I can learn about it the the better decision I can make.[/quote']

i think you'd better served taking her for a spin on ebay. put a reasonable starting bid on it with a reserve you can live with and see what happens. the several i have been watching have been selling in the vicinity of 1300-1500. the centennial aspect of yours, as well as the finish, might garner a little bit more. hard to say. the most i've seen one go for recently is 2100.00 but it was owned by a "star" and i think a fan bought it. hence the higher price. if you were to look at the 2 most recent listings you'll see what they are asking but be advised they are in their second or third re-list without a change in asking price. just my .02.

I don't know regarding the long scale. I just play as a hobby.

I would eventually like to have an SG. (big fan of AC/DC).

One of my nephews has one. Everytime I played it, it just "fit" if you know what I mean.

I did look on ebay, saw 2 listed (VSB) one was bid at $1500, the other at $900. I was going to ask $1000 for mine on craigslist, but my sister suggested I do some research first. My wife is VERY distrustful of ebay....and we don't have a paypal.

I figured I'd get a pretty good idea of what to do after listening to what you guys had to say as you probably know a lot more about these guitars than I do. (and thanks jannusguy you are helping a lot)

you don't have to use paypal on ebay. you can choose whatever means of payment you wish. bank wire, cashiers check. ship when funds clear and not before. or take it to a store in your area that specializes in selling products on ebay for a %. i've bought several instruments off ebay with good luck. don't get me wrong, there are horror stories. you just have to be careful. FWIW, i think 1K for that guitar would get it sold quickly but you'd be leaving some money behind.

Very nice' date=' yes it does look like mine aside from the sunburst. I will admit I'm wondering as to the value of what I have. I have been on the fence for a long time as to selling it vs keeping it. I'm more of an elecric player than acoustic, but when the mood stikes me this guitar never dissapoints. My wife is concerned I'll regret selling it, even though the person who gave it to me is an ex-girlfriend. I was going to "test the waters" on craigslist, but was not sure what to price it at. I figure the more I can learn about it the the better decision I can make.[/quote']

You don't know how lucky you are. First, a girlfriend who gives you a guitar. Then a wife who tries talking you OUT of selling it. My good man, you are blessed.

Ha ha!......yes I know I'm lucky, (wife reminds me constantly)....:P

There is more to this story though. The wife never knew this ex-girlfriend (and that is ALWAYS a good thing).

Anyways, I had helped this girl out a lot financially over the time we were together and this was her way of paying me back. It was one of those rare break-ups that did not end up bitter. (yes, lucky again). I say it was a gift because I wasn't expecting it.

As for ebay. Those are good points about leaving money behind. On the other hand I think about the possibility of muliple relistings (as mentioned above) and the pitfalls of internet business. I just found out my wife did get a paypal (I had forgotten), but she still does not want me using ebay for this. I am more open minded, but tend to err on the cautious side (usually).

Craigslist seems safer and is free. No listing (or re-listing) fee's to cut into my sale price. No shipping either since it is local.

I was all set to put it up last saturday. I will wait till at least this coming saturday to make a decision.

If there is someone on here that is interested, please speak up. I looked to see if there was a classified section here, but didn't see one.

Interesting "back story." That's not a bad little guitar. I wouldnt be in a big hurry to depart from it, my 2c.

re the model, its a "contemporary' version of the 30's L00, long 5.4 scale instead of 24.5, schaller keys instead of klusons. Usually a burst, but Gibson has done runs in blonde as well as ebony. 1k is a lowball price. Think twice.

Okay then, you guys are getting through to me, I'm not going to list it at 1K.

Does $1500 sound better?.......if I sell it.

I just don't play it very often, so I thought it would make more sense (for me) to sell it.

So I guess I'm still on the fence......needing a tie-breaker.

I may still put it on craigslist, but want to list it at a fair (to me) price.

If it doesn't sell then I guess I was meant to keep it.

• 9 months later...
I just don't play it very often' date=' so I thought it would make more sense (for me) to sell it.[/quote']

I've used this argument before to rationalize selling something 'cause I wanted the money and of course later regretted selling. "I don't play it very often," I would say to myself.

Now, I don't play it at all. :-

Cute guitar! If it's a 1994 model, its serial number will be 9xxx4xxx. They used the Centennial labels starting in 1993 and continued using them into 1995.

A sidenote: they cranked out a lot of product in the Centennial year, with the result that a goodly portion of the period's production was shall we say 'less than stellar', in terms of sound. Of course, lots of good-sounding ones too, but more than their fair share of ho-hum guitars.

So the Centennial cachet does not necessarily translate into a higher value.

Good luck with it!

Andy' date='

Im sure Im a day or two late on this one, but I was wondering if you still have this guitar. If so, please email me or reply here so I can make you an offer. Thanks! Mike[/quote']

Mike I PM'ed you my e-mail address.

Cute guitar! If it's a 1994 model' date=' its serial number will be 9xxx4xxx. They used the Centennial labels starting in 1993 and continued using them into 1995.[/quote']

I just went and checked......It is indeed a 1994 model.

Archived