Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting Action on Lp

GladToBeBack

I'm considering lowering the action on my Lp. My thoughts were to lower the bridge...I also need to file the nut to fit the 10-52 strings i'm using. I wanted to know how involved this is. is it something I should be able to do myself, or since i'm noob at these things should I take it to a pro? any thoughts or input or helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Lowering the bridge is easy. Just tighten the screws.

Filing nuts is trickier, but you can do it.

You don't say why you have to file for your new strings. Was the nut originally cut for smaller gauge strings?

Are you starting with a blank nut? What kind of nut is it?

You will need the proper files. And I would practice on a spare nut first if I was you.

I just the buy the pre-slotted Tusq nuts, and they fit 10s good without having to do to much modification.

the original cracked and replaced it with a graphite nut that is cut for smaller strings. especially 4-6' date=' the low E string basically sits on top of the groove instead of inside of it.[/quote']

You can't properly cut a nut until everything else is properly setup. Let me explain:

You want the strings to just barely clear the first few frets for maximum playability and intonation. So you cut nut so that the string just clear the first fret and it plays perfect on the first five frets. But now you notice the action is too high at the 7th to 12th frets because the neck has too much relief. No problem, you tighten the truss rod, straighten out the neck and now it plays great on those frets. But now you can't play open notes because the strings are hitting the first fret and fretting out. As you tightened the truss rod and the neck straighten out, the relationship between the nut and the first fret changed causing the strings to move closer to the fretboard. Since there's so little clearance to begin with, the open strings actually touch the first fret and buzz. The nut was actually cut too low, but you didn't realize it because the neck was not properly adjusted.

So the bridge height & neck relief has to be good prior to cutting the nut. As sachi said, nut files ain't cheap so the wise move would be to bring the guitar to a good tech, let him set it up and cut the nut for you. Good luck.

For enlarging or deepening slots, if you are on a budget and don't need pro luthier results, you can use folded over sandpaper instead of nut files and do pretty well. I have done this several times with good results. Just read up on how to determine the correct height (I press the string at the third fret and get the string to barely clear the first fret). And take it slow. Make sure you angle downard slightly towards the headstock, so the the string support point is right at the fretboard edge of the nut, or you will have massive intonation issues. Worst case you wreck the nut and have to buy another one.

I'm just looking to widen the grooves in the nut , not necessarlity make them deeper.

but to be sure I understand, I should adjust the bridge and saddles first. make sure my tuning is correct open then at 12th fret on all strings, ensure there is no buzzing, and make sure I'm at a comfortable action, then attempt to file the nut?

Also check your neck relief, in addition to the steps you mentioned.

Jerrymac is absolutely correct.

I cut the grooves on the nut before checking all the other stuff, and ended up fretting out the first few frets.

Len

Archived