Gibson Brands Forums

Certain Factories for certain regions?

tpurgatoryt

I've noticed alot of the Epiphones in the store where I go have alot of, if not mainly all made in Indonesia Epiphone guitars, My SG is made in Indonesia and my LP special 2 I lay-buyed is made in indonesia.

Just coincidence or what?

It's a matter of timing. As I understand it, the majority of non-special-run Epiphones are made in Indonesia these days, so I wouldn't consider it too surprising to see many around. 2 years ago you would've been hard pressed to find a non-Chinese Epi.

It's a matter of timing. As I understand it' date=' the majority of non-special-run Epiphones are made in Indonesia these days, so I wouldn't consider it too surprising to see many around. 2 years ago you would've been hard pressed to find a non-Chinese Epi.[/quote']

My Wilshire is from Indonesia. Perfect for Indy music!!!

Two of the largest factories in the world are in Indonesia - Samick and Cort. Samick had been planning the Indonesia factory since the early 90s, they never had one in China. Samick might still make grand pianos in Korea, but the guitars are all made in Indonesia AFAIK. Fender contracts with Cort for a lot of the Squier line, and I'm sure Epiphone uses both manufacturers.

in a non related brand "side note" to show just how much all the brands mix and mingle in Asia,

my SX (entry level of the Agile guitar line) SJM '57 has an Epi. bridge and tailpiece, and Fender mini pots for volume and tone.

sometimes I wonder if the "major player" companies know (or even care) that their parts are commonly being used in "off brand" guitar production by the factories liscenced to build their brand.

Archived