Gibson Brands Forums

1964 j-45 crack

Mikkelfarside

Hi all!

Im new to this forum. Just got my 1964 j-45 adj cherry sunburst. Its beautifull and has an awesome sound. But it has a nasty crack on the top, about 5 cm. long. When I put pressure on it, it squekks, quite anoying because I can hear it when I play. I guess my question is: Is it exspensive to repair a crack on a vintage guitar? And will it affect the sound? I like the buzzing sound!

Regards Mikkel, copenhagen, denmark.

My understanding is cracks such as this, when they're repaired are repaired only so the crack doesn't end up getting bigger. Some cracks have little chance of getting bigger, some do. The crack likely would only be structurally repaired not cosmetically...just something from underneath to stop it from further cracking if it is at risk. These type repairs are not necessarily expensive although if the crack gets larger it can be. Your best bet is to take it to a good repair person and have him take a look at it.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I had two top cracks repaired on my 1960 J-200. The repairs were well done as it has been years and there has been no problems at all in terms of them re-opening or spreading. The repair guy put some small wood cleats on the underside. There was no touch up to the burst top done though and you can still see where the cracks were. It does not bother me but that is me.

The humidity in my home is around 30. Should I keep it in the box? The box is from 1964 and in poor condition...

I would invest in a good quality hard shell case to keep it in. Also get some kind of guitar humidifier to put inside your case.

I would invest in a good quality hard shell case to keep it in.

+1

You're in Europe so you should be able to get a Hiscox case easily. They are really good.

When it comes to having the repair done do your research and find a good luthier. Provided you get a good luthier this repair will be no problem.

Archived