Gibson Brands Forums

Closing your case lid too abruptly bad?

gijs

Ok, you might think I am overreacting a bit, but I was just wondering...

Usually I close the lid of my Hummingbird's case gently, but the other day it slipped out of my hands and just fell shut from it's highest position. Since the guitar sits tightly in it's case to prevent damage while traveling, I was wondering whether closing the lid too abruptly is actually bad for the guitar, because it puts some pressure on the top for example. Any ideas?

And no, I do not see any strange things on the guitar, but was just thinking how cautious I should be :)

I think your guitar will be just fine when that happens. Just make sure the guitar is seated properly in the case When grabbing the lid to close it. A friend of mine had his guitar laying in the case not seated properly and the lid fell down on it. One of the latch seats put a bad dent in the top of the guitar. It's a wonder it didn't split the top. Always use caution!!!

I wouldn't make a habit of it. The concussion of the slam could have a deleterious effect on the guitar's top.

Now that you mention it, I took a guit tar class once with a teacher who brought his classical guit tar which he babied. I mean if he wasn't showing us a chord progression or demostrating part of the melody, it was right back in the closed case until he needed it for the next point.

He had the case flat on the floor. Funny thing is, after he put the guit tar so carefully back into the case, he would then use his middle finger to nudge the lid over center and let it drop.... Seemed a bit incongruous to me. [scared]

I wouldn't make a habit of it. The concussion of the slam could have a deleterious effect on the guitar's top. ...

+1

I'll sometimes practice/work out of an unlatched case or two, but I always seat the guitar and lower the lid by hand - even though the guitar might go in and out of the case several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, notification was not turned on, so I did not see the replies until now.

I also asked Gibson service about this and they said it would normally not damage the guitar.

But still, I think Tommy is right that the wood gets hit when it happens which might be bad in the long term.

It only happened once until now, so I think I did not hurt my Hummie too bad ... :)

You draw a picture of a very caring man. No doubt you're in love with your instrument. No harm done here - the guitar wouldn't be that fragile. Compare it to clapping your hands hard in front of a babys face. Nothing serious - just don't do it again.

the StriNg

Archived