Gibson Brands Forums

well I took the plunge

invasion

As some of you may know I have been looking for a epiphone Les Paul for some time but have been concerned about buying second hand, incase somthing is wrong with it.

I really didnt know anything about setup of a guitar (despite playing off and on for 20 years lol)

Well over the last few weeks I got a copy of "The Guitar player Repair Guide" and have learned a lot. I have a takamine acoustic that was really uncomfortable to play, that now I have transformed. Mainly by just adjusting the relief in the neck it is now a differnt guitar all together :)and to think all those people that told me I would go to hell if I touched the truss rod or even thought about it!

So with some new skills in hand and feeling far more confident I thought sod it, when I saw a Epiphone Les Paul custom plus vinatge sunburst on an auction site.

Got it for £204 and it should arrive I think on wednesday I used Paypal so, if I have a problem I can get my money back.

I am told it is just a few months old and has no marks dents or anything and plays well. I am concerned that somthing will be wrong with it like the neck twisted etc but on the whole I still think it is worth the risk of buying blind.

I will post pictures when she arrives and let you know what condition it is in so fingers crossed :)

Invasion,

Congrats on the guitar. Hoping for the best. Looking forward to pics.

And yes...Guitar adjustments are not rocket science. You just need to do your homework and take your time.

Glad to hear the acoustic turned out well. Just keep in mind that truss rod adjustments need to be done

in small increments. I personally don't do more than 1/8 turn at any given time and no more than 1/4 turn

on any given day. I know it is over kill but better safe than sorry. Besides, on most guitars, 1/8 to 1/4

turn is a lot. Also, never force the truss rod. (although I am sure you have already read that in many places)

Once again, Congratulation!

Willy

Invasion,

Congrats on the guitar. Hoping for the best. Looking forward to pics.

And yes...Guitar adjustments are not rocket science. You just need to do your homework and take your time.

Glad to hear the acoustic turned out well. Just keep in mind that truss rod adjustments need to be done

in small increments. I personally don't do more than 1/8 turn at any given time and no more than 1/4 turn

on any given day. I know it is over kill but better safe than sorry. Besides, on most guitars, 1/8 to 1/4

turn is a lot. Also, never force the truss rod. (although I am sure you have already read that in many places)

Once again, Congratulation!

Willy

Thanks Willy :)

will post as soon as she arrives. I feel like a kid waitng for christams morning now lol

I agree better to be safe than sorry. I read some place that one set up guy wont let a guitar go for 3 days after he has done a setup so he can readjust it as it will change ove those 3 days!

I had heard it ove the years but I good set up really does make or break a guitar I was on the verge of selling the takamine...she isnt going anywhere now [thumbup]

Good for you, Invasion. It's gratifying to be able to set up and adjust your guitars so they feel best to you and play great. If you haven't already, you ought to go on the Stewart MacDonald site and request a catalog; they have all kinds of specialized set up and maintenance tools that will make the job easier.

Red 333

Good for you, Invasion. It's gratifying to be able to set up and adjust your guitars so they feel best to you and play great. If you haven't already, you ought to go on the Stewart MacDonald site and request a catalog; they have all kinds of specialized set up and maintenance tools that will make the job easier.

Red 333

Thanks red 333

I have already used Stuart Macdonalds site I got the fret rocker, straight edge and some radius gauges.Should of got the notched straight edge I think...going to place an order next month.

Thanks red 333

I have already used Stuart Macdonalds site I got the fret rocker, straight edge and some radius gauges.Should of got the notched straight edge I think...going to place an order next month.

I knew once you got started you would be overcome with the urge to buy tools.

Now you have to start doing setups for other people to pay for the tools. [biggrin]

Congratulations!

How about some pics?

Well if it had all gone through I would post some :(

It turned out that it was a fake [cursing]

The guy was using pictures of a real epiphone les paul's and then sending out fakes

I asked him for a serial number -after I had won the guitar- and he replied it was already shipped. 3 days later nothing. so I contacted him again. He then told me they found a problem prior to despatch so they couldn't send it out to me, but he was going to send me a "b" stock replacment and a free hard case [sneaky]

At this point because I knew he was selling fakes, I said I wanted a refund that day. As he had broken terms and conditions of Ebay

To my suprise he refunded me.

So a real lucky escape and a lesson learned. I am thinking of getting a Les Paul Ultra now what do guys think ??

Well if it had all gone through I would post some :(

It turned out that it was a fake [cursing]

The guy was using pictures of a real epiphone les paul's and then sending out fakes

I asked him for a serial number -after I had won the guitar- and he replied it was already shipped. 3 days later nothing. so I contacted him again. He then told me they found a problem prior to despatch so they couldn't send it out to me, but he was going to send me a "b" stock replacment and a free hard case [sneaky]

At this point because I knew he was selling fakes, I said I wanted a refund that day. As he had broken terms and conditions of Ebay

To my suprise he refunded me.

So a real lucky escape and a lesson learned. I am thinking of getting a Les Paul Ultra now what do guys think ??

Before you posted the above, the possibility of it being 'fake' was my first concern as the burst customs are among those which are commonly faked. Glad you got it sorted.

You know what, I walked past a pawn shop the other lunchtime which had an amber burst Epi LP standard for £159. It looked Korean to me and the frets looked in VGC. I didn't need it but went the next morning with the intention of getting it if all was well but it had gone.

Keep your eye on the pawnshops and their websites for a good deal. Fakes are easy to spot.

Before you posted the above, the possibility of it being 'fake' was my first concern as the burst customs are among those which are commonly faked. Glad you got it sorted.

You know what, I walked past a pawn shop the other lunchtime which had an amber burst Epi LP standard for £159. It looked Korean to me and the frets looked in VGC. I didn't need it but went the next morning with the intention of getting it if all was well but it had gone.

Keep your eye on the pawnshops and their websites for a good deal. Fakes are easy to spot.

Well I have been busy this afternoon \:D/

I see another Epiphone Les Paul on ebay managed to agree to a price and went over this afternoon to collect [-o<

Got there and as far as I could tell it was real so as long as it is I think I got a bargain for £200

here are a few pictures of her untouched as she was when I collected this afternoon does she look ok to you guys ??:

127920361.jpg

127920363.jpg

127920391.jpg

127920412.jpg

127920415.jpg

127923606.jpg

Oh No! An obvious fake. The clue is in the fact that is has only 5 strings..............

[biggrin]

.........seriously that looks very much legit.

Congrats on your purchase! =D>

Alan

Edit:

Actually the missing string may be a good sign. To me it indicates it could have come from a beginner who has given up with it. This means very little general wear and tear.

Oh No! An obvious fake. The clue is in the fact that is has only 5 strings..............

[biggrin]

.........seriously that looks very much legit.

Congrats on your purchase! =D>

Alan

Edit:

Actually the missing string may be a good sign. To me it indicates it could have come from a beginner who has given up with it. This means very little general wear and tear.

Thanks Alan

You had me for a minute until I read the rest [biggrin]

I think that was the case. The lad who owned it was around 15/16 he said it had been on a guitar stand for over a year gathering dust.

not sure if he had it from new he said his dad got it for him and it came in a epiphone box. I think it was made in 2002 so he may of had it second hand ?? not sure how long these guitar take tobe sold ?? cant be that long though!

no fret wear at all on this and the neck is perfect. just looking for my fret rocker so I can pin point any troublesome frets

I am just hoping I can find a music shop open tomorrow so I can get some new strings for her...will be a shame I have to wait until tuesday [crying].

• 3 weeks later...

Archived