Gibson Brands Forums

Cramp!

albertjohn

During a gig at the weekend, playing a song which involved lots of barre chords, I suffered a massive cramp in my left thumb muscle. Apart from being very painful, I couldn't return the thumb to it's natural position without forcing it back with my right hand. I was beginning to panic.

Now, our erstwhile and greatly missed TWilson would doubtless explain was the fault of Madam Palm and her 5 lovely daughters..................

Does anyone have a cure? Beer seemed to work that night but I'm not sure that is a long term solution.

I get leg cramps - kinda runs in the family. And also all those "funny" cramps like: hand, thumb, neck, toe, foot, etc. I've tried a few things over the years and have found the easiest is a multivitamin with minerals which I take every evening - as that's when the pesky cramps tend to show up. I still feel cramps coming on once in a while, but they don't quickly contract into a lock-up in a split second, and instead I've got time to relax the muscle and avoid a painful lock-up. Sometimes those lock-ups can leave a muscle sore for days.

During a gig at the weekend, playing a song which involved lots of barre chords, I suffered a massive cramp in my left thumb muscle. Apart from being very painful, I couldn't return the thumb to it's natural position without forcing it back with my right hand. I was beginning to panic.

Now, our erstwhile and greatly missed TWilson would doubtless explain was the fault of Madam Palm and her 5 lovely daughters..................

Does anyone have a cure? Beer seemed to work that night but I'm not sure that is a long term solution.

TAKE A BIG PINCH OF ARM & HAMMER BAKING SODA AND LET IT DISOLVE UNDER YOUR TONGUE - DO NOT JUST SWALLOW IT

THIS CURE FOR CRAMPS REALLY REALLY WORKS WITHIN 5-10 MINUTES WITHOUT FAIL- I WILL GUARENTEE IT.

I learned this from a famous orthopedic surgeon. I carry it religiously in my gig bag-has saved my cramped forearm many a time.

This works just as well for night leg cramps-keep it handy and use as the cramp is coming on.

Moose

P>S> Would appreciate hearing how this works for you.

TAKE A BIG PINCH OF ARM & HAMMER BAKING SODA AND LET IT DISOLVE UNDER YOUR TONGUE - DO NOT JUST SWALLOW IT

THIS CURE FOR CRAMPS REALLY REALLY WORKS WITHIN 5-10 MINUTES WITHOUT FAIL- I WILL GUARENTEE IT.

I learned this from a famous orthopedic surgeon. I carry it religiously in my gig bag-has saved my cramped forearm many a time.

This works just as well for night leg cramps-keep it handy and use as the cramp is coming on.

Moose

P>S> Would appreciate hearing how this works for you.

I hope you don't ever have to explain that one to the law.

"But Occifer, It's just baking soda. It's for cramps." O:)[unsure]

This has happened to me, and it was quite scary because I thought it was going to be like that every time I played. But it never happened again. I don't know why.

I have noticed as I get older, I tend to get cramps everywhere a lot easier. So I started taking a potassium supplement daily, which may or may not help (like I said, the fretting hand cramps have not returned). Also, just keep hydrated. If you're dehydrated, cramping is more likely.

Archived