Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 50th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul

Carbonite

I was thinking of trying to pick up a Gibson 50th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul.

When I look on the site I see that they come in Heritage Cherry Burst and Heritage Dark Burst.

However, I am finding other colors all over the place and not one of these two colors.

I had figured all the 50th were gone but then I am finding them on Amazon, music123 and musicians friend.

But like I said not one in those two colors just other oddball colors like Antiquity Burst and such.

Now the pic of the Antiquity Burst looks great and all but the color disparity had me wondering so I looked at some reviews on Musicians friend and found some stuff I don't correlate with a Gibson product.

Two reviewers on there stated that their finish is peeling. A nitro finish peeling in a week? No way Gibson would let that happen.

And they are even mentioning that the guitars don't sound any better than their regular non custom shop models.

Are these, what I thought to be reputable companies, selling knock offs or something?

Peeling finish and colors not listed on Gibson.com has me wondering.

If anybody can help me out with some info that would be great.

As for the color disparity, sometimes Gibson does special runs for some of their dealers so they each have their own lucrative finish for the model and year. The peeling finish sounds odd to me, though.

Yeah, here are the two separate reviews. Definitely giving me pause.

I would like to get to the bottom of this before I take the plunge.

atlantaburst

Posted by ledzep4 from richmond, virginia on May 27, 2010

Experience w/product: I own it

Reviewer's Background: blues guitarist, sound engineer

Reviewer's Play Style: blues, jazz, classic rock

i was shopping for one of the 59 reissues and decided to buy the atlantaburst. i absolutley loved this thing, before the paint started peeling off at the neck and bridge. i was only able to use this for 1 gig, and it sounded just like an epiphone i own. the only reason this costs so much is because of the finish, it beutiful, yet veeery cheap.

what in the...

Posted by novemberrain77 from atlanta on Apr 23, 2010

Experience w/product: I own it

Reviewer's Background: recording, profeesional guitarist, etc

Reviewer's Play Style: rock, guns n roses led zepelin

after i saw the add for the 1959les paul reissues i wanted one. since i live in the city of atlanta< i decided to buy the atlantaburst, which was quite beutiful. after i got the guitar shipped, i plkugged it right in to my vox ac30 and put it on clean, boy was there sumthin special...this guitar has no unique tone whatsovwer, it sounds exactly like my les paul standard, probaly because they both have burstbuckers.i enjoyed looking at it until about 3 weeks later, the finish began to PEAL OFF! the signature for 59's is there beuty, now i had a guitar with half burst half crappy looking wood. the neck did not impress me either.it felt very straight and unversatile, and just very uncomftorable. i took it into a shop to figure out what the paint was doing, the guitar tech said it was made up of a cheap type finish used on SQUIERS. this is a disgrace to the 1959, the holy grail of guitars, i would sell it if it was worth anything now. gibson needs to put more quality in there work apparently

Really?

Just what did you expect?

I expected the sound that my buddy gets from his.

The main reason I want one is because my friend has one and he let me play it a bit.

Everything about the guitar is better than my own Les Paul.

So when someone says it doesn't sound any better than their Epiphone then I start setting up my caution tape.

Their "non-custom-shop" Epiphones?

What are you talking about?

Whats with the hostility?

One guy said his sounded like his Epiphone.

The other guy said it didn't sound any better than his standard.

And when somebody says their standard without mentioning its a custom shop you tend to assume its a regular standard.

Or should I just start ignoring you now because your sole purpose here is to troll and waste my time?

Whats with the hostility?

One guy said his sounded like his Epiphone.

The other guy said it didn't sound any better than his standard.

And when somebody says their standard without mentioning its a custom shop you tend to assume its a regular standard.

Or should I just start ignoring you now because your sole purpose here is to troll and waste my time?

I asked you a question - what do you expect it should sound like?

Have you played one?

What do you think?

Are you going to base your decision on internet reviews?

I asked you a question - what do you expect it should sound like?

Have you played one?

What do you think?

Are you going to base your decision on internet reviews?

I told you what I expected it to sound like in my reply after you asked.

I want it to sound like the one my buddy has.

The problem I am having is not with how it will sound, its if the dang guitars are real in the first place.

I am worried they say they sound bad because they aren't legit 50th anniversary's. I totally get that some people don't have an ear for tone but with all the other issues going on I would be remiss not to mention that they are saying they sound bad.

I have never known a Nitro finish to peel like that when the guitar is so young.

I now know that Gibson does produce other colors thanks to this post, the peeling still has me worried.

In the event of paint peeling that should be covered under warranty if it does occur because that is a defect, as for how it sounds I've never played one so I wouldn't know. You'd honestly be better off playing it instead of reading a few bs reviews (especially that epi one).

I don't see why you're relying on those two crappy reviews so much. If I told you that my Honda Civic drove nicer and is faster than a BMW M3, would you believe me? Both reviewers are complete tools but you can tell the second guy has no clue what he's talking about because he says the R9 has the same pickups as his Standard...and if a guitar tech tells you something, it's gotta be true!

I've never seen a brand new historic with the finish actually peeling off but I'm sure it's possible.

There were 500 official 2009 50th anniversary R9s. These were all Heritage Cherry or Darkburst (probably an 80/20 split) and came with a gold COA. These were the first 500 made in 2009. Gibson also probably made 2,500 additional R9s in 2009 not including the signature R9s. Technically, they're all 50ths, depending on your viewpoint, but these additional R9s have the regular black COA. Gibson also released about 10, but maybe more, "1 of 25" limited run R9s in unique finishes. Here's most of them. http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157806 These 1 of 25 runs came with a black COA. Then there are the regular finishes we're all used to seeing - Iced Tea, Wash Cherry, etc.

These are all the exact same guitar. The only differences are the gold COA on the first 500, the colours, and high gloss finish or VOS finish. That's it, they're all the same guitar. Gibson doesn't put all their finishes on their website and for these it really wouldn't make much sense to because there aren't too many of them. Why advertise that they're making Sweet Southern Tea Burst R9s when only 25 were made? Heck, there are even Les Paul models that aren't on Gibson's website. Try finding the 1968 Les Paul Custom on gibson.com, you won't but it exists and it's a legit Gibson.

If you're worried about the guitar not sounding good, play the guitar before you buy it and don't buy from amazon.com. Although, I'm sure that even if you do buy one blindly it will be great and sound like your buddy's.

Archived