Gibson Brands Forums

Sweat relief

DanoWorks

I mentioned to my friend that I burn through strings in a week and slime up my guitar with sweat from my hands. His hands never sweat and was shocked that my strings turn black and dull so fast. I noticed Jeff Beck using rosin I think or some form of white powder on his hands. Do any of you know of a solution to reduce the sweat on my hands when I play?

We're all different. Some sweat more than others. However, sweating is a way for the body to eliminate too much liquid, so minimize the liquid intake before performing. Drink just enough to slake your thirst and or sip a bit between songs.

We're all different. Everyone's sweat composition is different. I took a First Responder's class. Some people's latex gloves would turn dark (degrade from palm sweat) within 5 - 10 minutes. Mine would show only spots here and there after 20 - 30 minutes. Smokers tended to darken their gloves faster. This could be part of the reason your strings corrode faster than your buddy's.

I recently discovered something that may work. It seems to work for me and one of my jamming buddies.

I have had some success using Isopropyl alchohol. I also have tried hand sanitizers and I think they work.

When my hands get gummy or sweaty or just soft, I can take about a tablespoon of alcohol and rub my hands with it. I let the alcohol soak into my hands really good for about 15 to 30 seconds and then shake the excess off and let it dry. It will make your hands dry, clean and the skin and calluses will be hard. The alcohol should neutralize acids - I'm not sure if it really does.

Hand sanitizers seem to work almost as well.

You might try this and see if it works for you.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try a couple of them. For the record. I do wash my hands and If I play a gig Friday and Saturday I have to change strings on Sunday. I wipe everything down between sets and everything but by Sunday my bright shiny strings are black and dead sounding. Hopefully one of the suggestions work. Again thanks guys for all of your input!

I recently discovered something that may work. It seems to work for me and one of my jamming buddies.

I have had some success using Isopropyl alchohol. I also have tried hand sanitizers and I think they work.

When my hands get gummy or sweaty or just soft, I can take about a tablespoon of alcohol and rub my hands with it. I let the alcohol soak into my hands really good for about 15 to 30 seconds and then shake the excess off and let it dry. It will make your hands dry, clean and the skin and calluses will be hard. The alcohol should neutralize acids - I'm not sure if it really does.

Hand sanitizers seem to work almost as well.

You might try this and see if it works for you.

This sounds like it works however, using alcohol based sanitizer and alcohol will strip your hands of their natural flora. A common problem among health care workers. If you don't do it much then I don't see a problem however use it more than needed and you could have problems with fighting off virus's ( most common entry way).

I normally just have a hand towel to wipe off the sweat, yes my hands sweat a lot too. I don't kill the strings in a week though so that's good lol.

Archived