Gibson Brands Forums

How'd You Get Your Start In Music?

Steven Tari

In the neighborhood I grew up, there was a garage band right next door. My best friend's older brothers both played guitar, one had a Gibson SG the other had a Gibson LP Goldtop. My friend got a Gibaon EB3 bass so I picked up a cheap acoustic. Started to learn and asked for an electric for a birthday gift. Got a "Grandpa Pidgeon" special and got better. The rest is history. With all of the musicians in the area, it was easy to pick things up. We played music instead of playing video games, which weren't too elaborate back then. Progressed to a couple of garage bands. Played in a Country / Elvis type band for a couple of years when I graduated from High School. Now I just play as a hobby, but I am teaching my two kids and hopefully they will go farther than I did in the music business.

When I was 14, a friend down the road played bass and kept bugging me to get a guitar. I got a Westbury for Christmas and was forced to learn Rush songs. Actually I didn't mind. We hung out at the local music store where a guy that worked there turned me onto blues.

I was about 11 or 12. I listened to the Elvis song 'guitar man' on my sister's record and wanted to play it.

I asked for lessons but my parents refused. So, I taught myself from the Bert Weedon 'play in a day' book.

By the time I was 14 I was playing weddings etc.

I still don't read but I'm thinking of studying now I'm older.

Archived