Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Studio Faded VS. Epi 1959 Standard

irvin1701

Comparing specs on both guitars they seem to to be extremely similar..which is better buy..I already have the Epi was wanting to get a Gibson..limited funds..considered either the faded or a junior..have a bud with a Melody Maker reissue..don't think so!

I would take a Gibson over an Epiphone any day. Being hand crafted you get an even instrument that plays with amazing sweetness. This is even true of the bare bones models like the faded. As grand and deluxe as my Korean Epi Sheraton is with its bound fretboard, it does not hold a candle to my SG Special in regards to feel and balance.

A guitar's a guitar. Everything else is just marketing--the Epiphone really is just as good as the Gibson. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, and now I'm stuck with a Gibson when I coulda gotten an Epi for much less and been just as happy.

Just go for the cheapest one you can find. I say go straight for the bottom and get the Epi LP Special II. You can still be a guitar god and blow people away with it. Just get a good amp and wail away. If you get a cheap guitar you'll have more dough for a good amp. I learned this the hard way--a good guitar through a cheap amp sounds like sh*t, but a cheap guitar through a good amp can sound very good. Doesn't have to have tubes either--lots of people are very happy with the Vox modeling amps, and they are very good.

EDIT: I just noticed you already have an Epi. That's all very respectable--now if you're dissatisfied with the tone, get a better amp. If you're dissatisfied with the playability, have it set-up professionally. If you're having problems with the electronics, swap them out. But the Epi LP is a very fine and respectable guitar.

Steve, Epiphones have a VENEER top, it does not matter if it is AAAAA is is a veneer.

Epis are OK guitars, if you are going to play it through a budget or a crappy tube amp or solid state and if you don't care how it will hold with time by all means the Epi is a good choice.

Playing through a pro quality amp will reveal a guitar limitations. It cracks me up when people plug into a modeling device an compare Gibson vs Epiphone.

By the 3 Epiphones I have owned, here is what I gather.

Sloppy finishes, low quality electronics, P90s are OK Humbuckers are garbage, fret wire does not hold up as well, plastic nuts, poor tuners, stiff toggle switches. Do I need to say more?

A guitar's a guitar. Everything else is just marketing--the Epiphone really is just as good as the Gibson. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, and now I'm stuck with a Gibson when I coulda gotten an Epi for much less and been just as happy.

Just go for the cheapest one you can find. I say go straight for the bottom and get the Epi LP Special II. You can still be a guitar god and blow people away with it. Just get a good amp and wail away. If you get a cheap guitar you'll have more dough for a good amp. I learned this the hard way--a good guitar through a cheap amp sounds like sh*t, but a cheap guitar through a good amp can sound very good. Doesn't have to have tubes either--lots of people are very happy with the Vox modeling amps, and they are very good.

EDIT: I just noticed you already have an Epi. That's all very respectable--now if you're dissatisfied with the tone, get a better amp. If you're dissatisfied with the playability, have it set-up professionally. If you're having problems with the electronics, swap them out. But the Epi LP is a very fine and respectable guitar.

Archived