May I introduce you...

LongMan

...to the newest member of my guitar family:

fullfrontsmall.jpg

fullbacksmall.jpg

headstockfrontsmall.jpg

headstockbacksmall.jpg

bodyfrontsmall.jpg

She's an Epiphone Sheraton VSB, manufactured in 2000 in Saein plant Korea.

Looks gorgeous, just as if I had picked her up straight from the factory. Not a single ding, dong or scratch on it. Just got her today like you see it here. The previous owner told me she was played a lot (even if she doesn't look like that), but handled with with care. And yes, she plays as great as she looks [smile]

That baby looks like a guitar !

Very nice and pretty.

I think Epiphones really do offer the best

bang for anyone's money...

Epi's hollows and semi-hollows are just

pleasing to look at.... let alone play

them, with their nice sorta jazzy tones...

CHEEKS

She's an Epiphone Sheraton VSB, manufactured in 2000 in Saein plant Korea.

Are you 100% on that??? It actually looks like an early Samick based on the bridge. It doesn't really matter since both are excellent, much nicer IMO than the newer MICs with the fatter one piece neck, but take care of that bridge. The post spacing is a couple millimeters different than the standard tune-o-matic style bridges, and it's nearly impossible to find a replacement. Wipe it down good when you change strings, if you get sweat on it, if it's humid yada yada and you'll be fine...

Beautiful, those Korean Sherrys are fantastic guitars. By the way, Saein manufactures really nice guitars under their brand name Shine, but I don't think they have a USA distributor.

If you would be so kind, would you confirm if it is a Saein, the serial number would begin with the letter I. Samicks begin with S. Thanks!!!

Update: I just slightly corrected the neck PU and pick guard position, they were a bit far off for my taste. The stop tailpiece is off as well, but I don't care for that because the lineup of the strings over the fretboard is perfect straight. Seems the PU/bridge/pick guard section was mounted by a cross-eyed craftsman [smile] And no, she didn't change colors. It's just the difference between daylight and halogen light.

bodyfront2small.jpg

But that's all minor issues. You should hear her! Man, that thing sounds like a big working horse dancing rock'n'roll [laugh]

In comparison the Elite ES-335 with it's 57s sounds like a snappy dog. It starts clean with volume nearly all way down, then starts to grumble as you turn the volume up, and gets more and more aggressive. More or less a Les Paul Standard with more wood in tone.

The Sheraton just needs one setting: All controls all way up. Fat sound with a lot of punch, however not muddy. It just sounds big.

I just took a Search Tour around the web for SHINE & SAMICK guitars and

I must say, they have some darn fine looking hollow and semi-hollow

bodied guitars !

They look as good as any Epiphone as far as I can tell.

I could not find a SHINE dealer in the USA however, unless

I missed something in my searching...

CHEEKS

Are you 100% on that???

Almost. At least the serial number reads I0 and a five digit production number. According to the guitar dating thread this is Saein plant, year 2000.

It actually looks like an early Samick based on the bridge.

That's quite possible, I just looked up the serial number in the other thread. I missed to ask the previous owner. This was such a great deal that I just took the guitar away before he changed his mind [smile]

It doesn't really matter since both are excellent, much nicer IMO than the newer MICs with the fatter one piece neck

Actually I never played one of the most recent Sheratons (and probably never need to [smile] ). But this one *has* a fat neck. It's a D-profile. The Riviera I got recently has a fat neck as well, but a more rounded C-profile, just like the Broadway. The Elite ES-335 has a typical slim taper 60s neck. All of them are comfortable to play for me, it's just a matter of taste I guess.

but take care of that bridge. The post spacing is a couple millimeters different than the standard tune-o-matic style bridges, and it's nearly impossible to find a replacement. Wipe it down good when you change strings, if you get sweat on it, if it's humid yada yada and you'll be fine...

Thanks for the hint, I will take care of that! By now the bridge just looks like new.

Beautiful, those Korean Sherrys are fantastic guitars.

I can confirm that [thumbup]

By the way, Saein manufactures really nice guitars under their brand name Shine, but I don't think they have a USA distributor.

Interesting link, thanks. They have a lot of interesting archtops.

If you would be so kind, would you confirm if it is a Saein, the serial number would begin with the letter I. Samicks begin with S. Thanks!!!

Well, from the serial number it is indeed a Saein manufactured guitar.

The Schaller is approximately 74mm which is pretty much standard. I believe your bridge posts should be about 72mm.

You are correct about the72mm spacing. But at least the STMG bridge stud holes can be extended with a dremel tool, without messing up the optic of the bridge.

Wow, that is one beautiful guitar! ive always loved the Sheratons and got a used Natural but im really growing fond of the burst type colour. Now that ive picked up an ibanez af-105 hollowbody (another natural) im kinda getting too much of the same colour and considering trading/selling mine to get the burst colour.

I know it's silly to fuss over colour when you already own a guit but i like a variety of looks in my arsenal ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Archived