Gibson Brands Forums

Dove performer

lord_nikon

Just got home from Sam Ash. I went to get more guitar stands (on sale). As I walked in right at opening I had the guitar room and the salesman all to myself. Best service I've had there. I went in to compare the Songwriter and the Hummingbird. They only had the Songwriter Studio so it wasn't the comparison I'd hoped for. Being me, I wasn't planning on buying new anyway. Played both, then a J-200 (mine is better probably due to 17 years of opening up) a J-45, and then the salesman handed me the new (made for Sam Ash) Dove Performer. Bracing as Gibson used in the 1930's models and AAA Sitka Spruce top and Maple back and sides (which is the typical Dove tonewoods). It is solid black so it was hard to tell visually. I was more than impressed with the playability, the neck and the tone. The tone was a little higher than the J-200 and the J-45. I kept out the J-45 for comparisons sake. The salesman said they would match a competitor's 15% off coupon bring the price to $1,869 with hardshell case and lifetime warrenty. I barely got out of the store without it. I figure I have 29 hours left to get that deal. I need a program to treat my GAS.

Anyone tried out this guitar?

Chris

i was just thinking the other day that the dove is a bit overlooked in these forums. myself, i was looking into the hummingbird pro bec of the attractive price tag and fantastic trademark tone. this seems like the dove version of the pro and a great price as well. are there spec differences between it and the trad dove? at any rate, way to be strong. its tough, i know.

Oh, the Dove. One of the most overlooked Gibson acoustics.

When i was recently guitar shopping i played a new Dove and have to say it put the new Himmingbirds to shame.

Vintage Doves have a particular warm honey tone as the maple brightness mellows out with age.

Here is one being played by Nick Barker, one of my favourite Australian singer / songwrites.

My link

Will be difficult to say no to Dove GAS..

This reads like an unabashed advertisement.

I have no affiliation with Gibson, Sam Ash or any commercial enterprise concerning this, or for that matter, anything else. I guess I just write too many reviews and tend to write in editorial style.

Chris

Oh, the Dove. One of the most overlooked Gibson acoustics.

When i was recently guitar shopping i played a new Dove and have to say it put the new Himmingbirds to shame.

Vintage Doves have a particular warm honey tone as the maple brightness mellows out with age.

Here is one being played by Nick Barker, one of my favourite Australian singer / songwrites.

My link

Will be difficult to say no to Dove GAS..

great tone. nice lyric as well. is it mellencamp whose sig guitar is a dove?

Archived