Gibson Brands Forums

What's Up with Drummers

Rewddawg

I don't know if we are going thru a temporary phase or is it the nature of drummers. We are now in to our fourth drummer in 3 months. We will find a good drummer that can do the songs and out of the blue they start showing up one day and not the next. We have a great bass player and the guitars and vocals are masterful. Does anyone else have this problem or is this just a phase we just have to work thru. It sucks asking 2 drummers to show up and one day we have 2 drummers and the next we might have one. Not to mention the insult to the drummers when 2 show up. Any thoughts or comments.

Rewd.

Maybe your band needs to revamp its interviewing process [biggrin]

I don't know, but I think it's all just luck and coincidence. I've had nothing but good experiences with the drummers I've worked with. I don't think you can say "drummers are all this way" any more than you can say "guitarists are all that way".

There are wacko's in all professions.

I don't know, but I think it's all just luck and coincidence. I've had nothing but good experiences with the drummers I've worked with. I don't think you can say "drummers are all this way" any more than you can say "guitarists are all that way".

There are wacko's in all professions.

I agree with that! There seems to be an awful lot of 'em in politics, though....LOL.

I think some drummers have a bit of a complex about how valuable they are to the group or how much influence they have on song arrangements etc. Cases in point Ringo the Beatle and Charlie Watts the Stone....both pivotal to their respective hugely successful bands, yet jokingly disparaged by their band-mates. On the other side of the coin are the innovators/leaders like Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Stewart Copeland, Keith Moon who were well aware of their importance to the overall sound and direction of their music. Most recently I enjoyed seeing how much fun the Kings of Leon drummer was having in driving their songs. On a disconnected note...does anybody else, like me, laugh when they hear a cuica?

The problem that exists with us is there are not very many good drummers in the area. We have lots of guitar players. I would guess maybe a ratio of 50:1. The current drummer is young and says he is in for the long haul but he said that before and disappeared for a while. So I have finally met up with a long lost friend who is probably the best drummer in the area. He is about ten years older than the current drummer. He is in a much more stable situation and more mature and experienced. He is currently learning the song list and will be able to jump in in relatively short order. So I think this is just something due more to demographics than anything.

I hear you about the band interrelationships. But we can find a bass player easier than a good drummer.

Anyway I think we are sitting in a better position than last week.

Rewd.

I don't think it's "Drummers", but any musician that doesn't realize a Small Working Band is a Small Business. If a guy is perfectly happy making money Paycheck to Paycheck and likes the idea of a set schedule so they can pretty much just relax, then any Small Personal Business would be a challenge for them. Any Small Business, Catering would be just a challenging as a Working Band for that type of personality.

And another point on Drummers being a little intimidated by the other musicians in the group is probably true. It takes a lot more time and effort to learn the Guitar than it does Drums. Plus, when a guitarist plays a song all by themselves, the song is there. When a Drummer plays a song all by themselves is sounds like a drum solo.

Archived