Gibson Brands Forums

Resonating 6th string

niemepet

Hi, I have first run Robot and I like the guitar very much. But I have a problem that 6th string is resonating.

The strings were very high, so I move those down from the bridge. I also screw pickup down (that the strings are not hitting it). I check that neck profile is fine and the intonation is fine.

Now I find out that 6th string is resonating, when I'm pressing 7th fret (and up from that position). By pressing 6th fret (and lower) it is ok. It seems that the string is too close to next frets metal part and thats why it resonating.

What I should adjust that I can fix the problem? Any advise is good on this situation.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the advice. The strings were "in the sky high" - and that's why I was moving them down a little bit. So I don't want to move them up. Trust rod helped a little bit, but it fixed everything else than the 6th string. It feels that this guitar is "a monday piece" and I'm going to bring it back where it belongs - to the store. ](*,)

By "resonating," do you mean that it's buzzing on the frets above it (between where you're fretting and the bridge), or that it's giving you sympathetic vibration behind it (beteen the nut and the fret you're fingering)? Two different problems, but easily addressed by a proper setup. By "profile" did you mean relief? New guitars need some time to dial in; even if it had a setup when you got it it may be time for an adjustment. No big deal so long as the store has a competent tech.

Thanks for the advice. The strings were "in the sky high" - and that's why I was moving them down a little bit. So I don't want to move them up. Trust rod helped a little bit' date=' but it fixed everything else than the 6th string. It feels that this guitar is "a monday piece" and I'm going to bring it back where it belongs - to the store. :) [/quote']

Since it's a new guitar, that's what I'd do too; no point in driving yourself crazy with something that should be right in the first place. If you otherwise like the guitar, perhaps they can fix it if they can't replace it.

By "resonating' date='" do you mean that it's buzzing on the frets above it (between where you're fretting and the bridge), or that it's giving you sympathetic vibration behind it (beteen the nut and the fret you're fingering)? Two different problems, but easily addressed by a proper setup.[/quote']

yes, I mean buzz - between fret and bridge. It's not buzzing when I push string down on 6th fret. But when I go 7th fret and above, it is buzzing. And this happens only on thickest string.

By "profile" did you mean relief? New guitars need some time to dial in; even if it had a setup when you got it it may be time for an adjustment. No big deal so long as the store has a competent tech.

I mean, I check the curve of the neck. I put the capo on the first fret, push 6th string down from the 15th fret and check that there is a biggest space between the 6th or 7th fret.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem - tell me. Otherwise I'm going to the store - they either fix it or I'm going to change it to other guitar. They have other brand that I'm interested...

Archived