Gibson Brands Forums

MOP vs. acrylic inlays

heymisterk

Just a quick question...I know that years ago Gibson moved to acrylic fret inlays and away from mother-of-pearl. I can only assume it was for cost.

Cost has nothing to do with it. Henry decided to go with acrylic inlays in order to improve sustain!

Just ask him...

[lol]

I have really mixed emotions on this one.

The traditionalist in me sez, "It should be real MOP or abalone."

The realist watched a very talented friend inlay banjo necks many years ago and as a result, I agree with Tommy that, as with buttons even on fine clothing, MOP probably is not the best choice even though by tradition in pre-synthetics days it had been.

Another problem with "real" MOP is that it will wear inconsistently whereas a synthetic crafted to a specific formula will be more consistent - and probably will have consistently longer wear.

I appreciate the appearance of gold hardware on a new guitar, but I've yet to see that stuff continue to look as good as chrome after some years. So... would one say my/Gibson choice is gold or chrome on a basis of cost or???? Ditto inlays.

And when's the last time anyone saw real tortoiseshell guitar picks or glasses frames? Or beaver hats or a 100 percent rubber tire for their vehicle, or...

m

Archived