Gibson Brands Forums

Can leather backed straps damage the finish on my 2008 ES335?

ToddS

Well, following some helpful responses from this forum, I went ahead and purchased my Moody leather backed strap (and it really is a nice, very soft strap).

As I have already marked the finish on the headstock by hanging my guitar with a plastic coated hanging rack (now upgraded to leather) I wanted to be sure that leaving the leather strap attached would not damage the body's finish.

It may sound like a stupid question (ie given the leather cover was the solution for the hanging rack!) but I just wanted to check that there wasnt a different finish on the body that there is on the neck/headstock.

Thanks.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

My stuff gets played, and gigged in bars, so much I don't really think about it anymore.

I'm, looking at my '03 J45 Rosewood hanging on the wall with a leather strap I made. My '61 Melody Maker is hanging beside it with the same strap I used on it 30 years ago. Leather, albeit pretty sad looking, but beautiful to me.

Guitars are meant to be played.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I've always removed the strap after playing as I can recall someone somewhere saying that's what you should do. The view put is that the leather when left for long periods against the body can leave a mark. Having said that I have never had a discussion with anyone complaining about strap marks. Maybe worth checking with your trusted luthier - they know these things. AlanC.

Archived