Gibson Brands Forums

Lets talk Gibson acoustic Used/New

Josh James

Howdy! This is my first post over in the acoustic forum and long overdue. I have always went into my local guitar stores and loved the balance and overall sound of a J-45, but always thought they were out of my reach. I'm looking to unload one acoustic I have to finance the purchase. What can you tell me as far as these and the similiarity of the out of production J-50 or anything similiar. The guitar I'm selling is a 2003 Taylor 310ce with the Fishman stereo prefix plus and I hope to get 650-700 for it. I have no qualms about waiting and watching ebay and craigslist for used or even new Gibby acoustics. I just basically want to know what to look for in used and what is the best in my price range of 1100 american bucks.

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing your insight!

Cheers,

Josh

Hey Josh, First off the J-50 is nothing more than a plain finished J-45 with a different pick guard. The J-45 is a sweet guitar and finding a good used one should not be difficult. The two most important thigs in a used guitar are condition and tone. (wich probably goes without saying.) I prefer to play before I buy so I would suggest looking in guitar and pawn shops first.

If you could swing the extra cash and do not need a pickup, I would hold out for a used J-45 True Vintage, I have one and it's an amazing guitar.

Here's one way to break it down. new: like a new car, you pay top value and wont get it back in trade (if it ever comes to that) but youve got the warranty, no issues. May be stiff to drive at first. used. played in, costs, less. No guarantees. These things are wood, organic, so not "set" Check it out for cracks, neck angle saddle height all that stuff.

re Gibson quality. Montana is making good guitars, period. Sure, each individual guitar is different to some degree but the Gibsons coming out of Bozeman are pretty consistent. Note the std J45s are tweaked for electric play (tusq not/saddle etc) so if you want an all out acoustic, swap that out for bone or look into the]TV series.

ps if you gett the vintage bug... Think twice. old. mid- late 60s-80s. overbuilt. Some rare gems but not gibsons finest hour. Look out for repair /playability issues vintage. (29-54 primo, 55-62 pretty good). Caveat. not all are gems, & many on the market have issues, often multiple issues. Expect to pay top dollar.

I always recommend buying used - you get more guitar for your bucks and usually the first scratch is already on it.

I also feel buying any acoustic you have not tried out first is a crapshoot at best despite such catchy descriptions as its "a cannon", a "tone monter" or that it "plays like buttah." Sometimes you have to go through a bunch to find a keeper.

Good Luck

Yes, used is the way to go, IMO.

For $1100 American, you're gonna be pretty limited in the Gibson Acoustic world. You're basically looking at a WM-45, Gospel or L4-A.* You might luck out on a J-45 with "Mojo."

*What a coincidence - I happen to have an L4-A for sale in the Trading Post! It's a tone monster cannon that plays like butter!

I found a used 2007 J-45 on AGF for $1,200 last year. Seller agreed to a 7 day trial so I could play it before deciding. True, it had some scratches and a couple of very small dings, but after a set-up by Marcus at Music Villa in Bozeman, I can't stop playing it. With a little luck and some hunting, you might be able to find a similar bargain. At the Gibson Homecoming a couple of years back, I remember Ren saying that the J-45, in terms of consistency of sound and build quality, was a guitar they really had dialed in.

Good luck with your search.

Archived