Gibson Brands Forums

Where To Find This Color Pickguard?

Triumph1050

I didnt want to hijack the thread about the Sisters Festival but Im building a dreadnaught guitar and have been racking my brain to come up with the pickguard.

Still drawing designs but I'd love to find this color on this Gibson. Every where I look its tortoise this and that or just plain solid colors(which I dont want)

This red guard looks "kinda" tortoised but subtle and the red is a strong red.

Anyone know where to find this guard color/material? Thanks.

The Gibson pictured below...

betty_soo.jpg

That's going to be a tough material/color to find. I have a new pickguard inbound for my little CJ and before I ordered I looked high and low at every pickguard maker's materials gallery and did not see anything close to that mostly red, subtle tortoise. You might send that photo to Gibson Montana and ask if they have access to that stuff.

There are two distinct tortoise colors available, red and brown. I think the specifics will vary from batch to batch. Since most of this kind of stuff has to ordered, the unfortunate part is you won't know the exact subtleties of the color until it is in your hands.

That's the crappie material Gibson started using in 1964. I have one of those that came off of a 68 B45-12. I keep meaning to put it on E-bay. This just reminded me to do that !

I like those pickguards and have one on my 66 J-45.

Why don't you PM triumph and offer to sell him yours if you don't want it?

I like those pickguards and have one on my 66 J-45.

Why don't you PM triumph and offer to sell him yours if you don't want it?

KL, no offense intended. I've had plenty of Gibsons with this guard as well. It just is not anywhere as nice as what was used prior to this material.

I assumed the OP wanted to make a guard out of this material and mine wouldn't be big enough for that. I also assumed he would re-read his post here and see that I have one of these and he would contact me if there was any interest on his part.

FP,

Is yours just like the one pictured as far as the shape?

Or just the same color/material?

I may be interested...

Yes same shape, it came off of a late 60's B4512.

I think the reddness on the one pictured is accentuated in the picture.

These when off the guitar tend to have more of a brown shade to them.

Mine is used and scratched, so if it was to be used on a new guitar it would have to be sanded and rebuffed.

If you want it, $25.

Honestly there is so much more nicer looking material available then this.

Yes same shape, it came off of a late 60's B4512.

I think the reddness on the one pictured is accentuated in the picture.

These when off the guitar tend to have more of a brown shade to them.

Mine is used and scratched, so if it was to be used on a new guitar it would have to be sanded and rebuffed.

If you want it, $25.

Honestly there is so much more nicer looking material available then this.

Yeah, no thanks. I have some new vintage colored tortoise that I'll probably use.

Archived