Gibson Brands Forums

Home from Iraq!

cjlandry

I'm not military, just a guy who knows a lot about drilling rigs and how to make them work. I started up a lot of new rigs in Iraq in the past two years.

It's good to be home! After spending quality time with my wife and kids, I started opening my packages.

I got some new toys, so I arrived home to find a 4x12 cabinet, a Vox AC4TVH, an Epiphone Valve Junior, a 1x12 cabinet, a Fender Vibro Champ XD, a Smokey pocket amp, a Vox Amplug AC30, a Danelectro Fab Distortion pedal, and several music books. Yes, I spent way too much money, but I did a lot of bargain shopping before laying down any cash on eBay and at the music stores.

I installed 4 16 ohm Celestion speakers in the cabinet, so I have the correct impedance for the Vox. Running the Vibro Champ through the 1x12.

Had an absolute blast going through the models and effects on the Vibro Champ, and felt like I was in heaven finally hearing my guitars through the little Vox head. I've read a lot about how loud 4 watt tube amps are, and I didn't find it to be terribly loud. I still like having the 1/4 watt and 1 watt options, though, so I can drive it without waking the family. Unfortunately, the EVJ arrived damaged. One tube was shattered, and the output transformer was just hanging by wires. I can fix it, easily enough, but I won't have time for that until next week.

The distortion pedal is cool. I've never had a pedal before, and it's really nice to instantly switch from crystal clear to ears-bleedin' crunch and scream.

The Smokey, well, it's interesting, but not all that great. Kinda cool driving the 4x12 with it, though. It definitely works a lot better with a real external speaker or four. I can also understand why people say it sounds better with single-coils than humbuckers. I have Seymour Duncan "Phat Cat" P90-style pickups in my SG, and it definitely sounds better than the Les Paul. I can take the single coils higher before the tiny speaker starts breaking to pieces.

The little Amplug AC30, headphone amp is really cool. I played for a while with my Sennheiser HD280 phones. I couldn't crank it all the way, because it would literally cause pain in my ears.

The music books are Barrett Tagliarino's Guitar Fretboard Workbook and his Guitar Reading Workbook. I also got Jim Fleser's "The Chord Wheel", and Musician's Institute's Ear Training book and CD's.

I've decided to work hard on taking my understanding of music to the next level. While it's fun to play simple riffs and chord progressions, I want to be able to really play, like my instrument is an extension of me. It's gonna be a lot of work, and not all of it fun, but I want to reap the rewards.

Anyway, it's really good to be home, and it's really good to play real guitars again. The Traveler Speedster is nice for travel, and without it I couldn't practice when I'm away. It's really nice to learn something on that guitar, which is kinda difficult to play, then come home and have the same things feel "like butter" on a proper instrument.

Sweet deal, man. Not only are you home, finally, but you have toys to play with. That's so great man. Hats off to you for being in a dangerous place doing what you do. Too bad about the broken tube, hope that gets resolved well for you. Glad to hear you're ok, and enjoying yourself. Welcome back to the U.S.

Archived