Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Else Have a "Pirates SG"?

cjlandry

I bought this thing, on a whim, from Musician's Friend.

The "features" seemed nice, and the graphics are definitely unique. I like the skulls and crossed sabers in the fretboard inlays.

I really didn't expect much, quality wise. Just thought it looked cool, and it was less expensive than other G400 SG's at the time. I got it for $250.

I installed Seymour-Duncan Phat Cat pickups, to try and get a more "vintage" sound from it.

I really like this guitar. The "Disney" graphics get laughs out of me and others. I have no idea how many of these were made, but I thought the "Custom Shop" logo on the back was really cool.

It plays as easily as any guitar I've ever picked up, and it stays in tune forever. I am really surprised at how much I love to play this guitar. I spend most of my time with my Les Paul Ultra, but every time I pick up the silly Disney SG, I have a blast!

PiratesSG.jpg

PirateHS.jpg

I dont have one, but despite the silly graphics, I'm not surprised at how well it probably plays. Its a G400 after all. Not a G-310 like the Emily guitars.

Did you get it on closeout or something? I thought they were a little pricier than the typical G400s because of the inlays and graphics and such.

I dont have one, but despite the silly graphics, I'm not surprised at how well it probably plays. Its a G400 after all. Not a G-310 like the Emily guitars.

Did you get it on closeout or something? I thought they were a little pricier than the typical G400s because of the inlays and graphics and such.

First time I saw one, it was $400, then the price went steadily down. I figure it's because no one wanted the graphics. I kinda dig 'em.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was on close out.

Factor in the cost of the pickup swap, and I have as much in it as a G400 at retail.

I can't imagine people spending the cash for an Emily. Sure, they're "cute", but that's about it. I had a 310 before. I don't want another.

I can't imagine people spending the cash for an Emily. Sure, they're "cute", but that's about it. I had a 310 before. I don't want another.

I hear ya. I currently have a G-310. Its a great little learning guitar, but thats as far as it goes. I would never gig with it or use it in a band except for maybe a backup. It just not "there", if you know what I mean.

I hear ya. I currently have a G-310. Its a great little learning guitar, but thats as far as it goes. I would never gig with it or use it in a band except for maybe a backup. It just not "there", if you know what I mean.

The 310 was my learning guitar. It wasn't long before I traded it for a little Orange Crush 15 amp. I did like the pick-guard on the 310, but I much prefer no pick-guard at all.

I noticed that you had one when you posted the pic of your little girl playing it.

I've never even seen one in person, but I always though that as far as "graphically enhanced" guitars go, that was one of the cooler ones ... and just like RTH said, G400's are rock-solid little guitars. It's great that you got your for a killer price!

Jim

IMHO,

Eeewwwww... so ugly!

No need to be humble. It's not everyone's favorite, and I don't expect everyone to like it. There's a reason they dropped the price so low.

I'd have gotten a red finished G400 if I hadn't spotted this one at such a killer price. Since I got it, I have learned to love it, especially with the SD single coils. [cool]

Kind of on topic, kinda not, but personally I won't ever laugh at a non-traditional finished guitar again. I was in a shop one day and they had on of those pink squire hello kitty guitars. I asked the guy "what's your sales pitch to sell that thing?!" half-joking with him. He looked me straight in the face and told me "It sounds GREAT". I tried it and sure enough it did. IMHO, I wouldn't ever own a gimmick guitar (not an insult, just lack of a better term) but I won't ever laugh at them again when I see them. Kind of like an ugly beat up classic car that pushes 350+ horsepower.

Kind of on topic, kinda not, but personally I won't ever laugh at a non-traditional finished guitar again. I was in a shop one day and they had on of those pink squire hello kitty guitars. I asked the guy "what's your sales pitch to sell that thing?!" half-joking with him. He looked me straight in the face and told me "It sounds GREAT". I tried it and sure enough it did. IMHO, I wouldn't ever own a gimmick guitar (not an insult, just lack of a better term) but I won't ever laugh at them again when I see them. Kind of like an ugly beat up classic car that pushes 350+ horsepower.

I'd love to have a Kalashnikitty guitar.

Kalashnikitty-boy.jpg

I think that would be cooler'n hell! [cool]

Archived