Gibson Brands Forums

Train Kept A Rollin

Hunterburst1

I just read the top 50 Gibson Guitar solo list and was interested to see that Joe Perry was credited for the solo's on 'Train Kept A Rollin'. I thought it was now common knowledge that Steve Hunter played the first half and **** Wagner played the second half solo sections. In fact there is a new book available by Hal Leonard called '25 Great Classic Rock Guitar Solo's' and in that book there is a transcription of the first solo section by Steve Hunter.

I think this should be corrected by Gibson.

I just read the top 50 Gibson Guitar solo list and was interested to see that Joe Perry was credited for the solo's on 'Train Kept A Rollin'. I thought it was now common knowledge that Steve Hunter played the first half and **** Wagner played the second half solo sections. In fact there is a new book available by Hal Leonard called '25 Great Classic Rock Guitar Solo's' and in that book there is a transcription of the first solo section by Steve Hunter.

I think this should be corrected by Gibson.

If my memory serves me well, weren't those the two guys who did the solos on "Sweet Jane" on Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal" live album? I always thought that

the solo in "Train Kept A Rollin", live on Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" album was done by Joe Perry alone. In other words, Brad Whitford, Aerosmith's other guitar

player, just played rhythm guitar. The transcription in Hal Leonard's book may be by Steve Hunter, but the actual solo was played live by Joe Perry. Joe Perry at

that time was emulating his idol from the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, who played it in the '60s. The song was originally published through BMI Music in 1951 by some

other artist.

If it wasn't Joe on the album, no biggie, i've seen him do it live 5 times, and just a little differently each tour.....I guess either to show that it wasn't "strummin to dubbins" or because he enjoys improv.

He may not be the most popular(a.k.a. flashy) guitarist, but he's solid and has talent.

If my memory serves me well, weren't those the two guys who did the solos on "Sweet Jane" on Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal" live album? I always thought that

the solo in "Train Kept A Rollin", live on Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" album was done by Joe Perry alone. In other words, Brad Whitford, Aerosmith's other guitar

player, just played rhythm guitar. The transcription in Hal Leonard's book may be by Steve Hunter, but the actual solo was played live by Joe Perry. Joe Perry at

that time was emulating his idol from the Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, who played it in the '60s. The song was originally published through BMI Music in 1951 by some

other artist.

I think Joe Perry is a great guitarist but the fact remains that the two solo sections on 'Train Kept A Rollin' featured on 'Get Your Wings' were played by Hunter and Wagner. Steve did the 'studio' first solo and the second solo played by **** was a simulated 'live' sound. I just think that credit should be given where credit is due. You are correct about Hunter and Wagner being on 'Rock and Roll Animal' and Steve wrote the 'Intro'.

Archived