Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic neck

heymisterk

Hey All,

The only electric I own (now) - and I am the proud owner of it - is the SG Classic. Just curious...How does this neck compare in terms of thickness/thinness of other electric, say compared to the "50s" neck and the "60s" neck I hear so much about...?

In my experience, the Classics I've played had pretty thick, wide necks. They seemed to be on average thicker than a Standard and much thicker than a '60s neck. I don't really like the way the Classics that I have played felt. I'm pretty sure the Classic has a "50s neck".

The '60s necks are generally pretty thin and pretty wide. I like the ones that are thin and narrow.

The differences are actually pretty minute in terms of the actual amount of wood but it's very obviously different feeling.

That is kind of what I thought: that is was on the chunkier side. My last electric guitar before the Classic was the Guild S-100 (like an SG, for those who are unfamiliar), and it was definitely thinner.

At first I thought that the Classic neck was a bit too chunky, but I have grown very used to it.

Archived