Gibson Brands Forums

MXL microphones

EVOL!

Anyone have an opinion on MXL microphones? They now sell the r144 ribbon mic for $100 and I was thinking about picking one up because I badly need something other than my SM57s and 58s. I have a little tube preamp to boost her (ribbon mics need it). The ribbon is aluminum and not gold leaf. Not sure how much that muddies up the sound.

I own a pair of MXL 990 mics, they came free with a DAW audio card I had purchase from Musician's Friend.

They are "OK" sounding general purpose mics. The quality of construction is good, but then again, I haven't dropped one or tossed it across the room

like I have seen Shure mics get abused and keep working.

If I had not gotten them free, I would not have them. When they go, I will not replace them.

For about the same money you can get a Sennheiser e609 that is a really great mic. Double that for the Sennheiser e906 and you'll have more setting features.

I own and use a Sennheiser e609 and an old Unidyne mic which is the predecessor of the Shure SM57. That Unidyne is old as hell, been thru hell and is still kicking!

I was looking at the e609 to mic my cab and wondering if it would work well to mic an acoustic with it since the SM57/58 is not. Plus, my drummer's mic set is all SM57s so we need mic variety.

I was looking at the e609 to mic my cab and wondering if it would work well to mic an acoustic with it since the SM57/58 is not. Plus, my drummer's mic set is all SM57s so we need mic variety.

I cannot say if the e609 sounds good capturing an acoustic, I've not tried it.

It's great for guitar cabs tho, which is the extent of my experience with them.

The e609 is a Dynamic mic, by definition it will not be good to mic an acoustic. There is not enough force on the sound produced by an acoustic guitar to move the mechanical element inside the mic. Crude explanation but that is how it works.

By the way when I was looking for condenser/ribbon mics I ran into the brand Cascade and their Fathead mics, check it out:

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT%20HEAD.html

They have some Ribbons priced under $200.

I ended up buying a set of MXL condensers for $99 and they are OK, like just OK...at least with my Line 6 UX1 maybe they would work better with a console.

I like 609s, but Shures work fine. I also kind of like how they are based out of Chicago.

I own a pair of MXL 990 mics, they came free with a DAW audio card I had purchase from Musician's Friend.

They are "OK" sounding general purpose mics. The quality of construction is good, but then again, I haven't dropped one or tossed it across the room

like I have seen Shure mics get abused and keep working.

If I had not gotten them free, I would not have them. When they go, I will not replace them.

For about the same money you can get a Sennheiser e609 that is a really great mic. Double that for the Sennheiser e906 and you'll have more setting features.

I own and use a Sennheiser e609 and an old Unidyne mic which is the predecessor of the Shure SM57. That Unidyne is old as hell, been thru hell and is still kicking!

I own the same mics you have. I prefer the sound of the e609 for close mic'ing than the Shure SM57. To me, the e609 sounds like what the Shure SM57 sounded like before they started making them in China. I have an 80s SM57 and a newer Chinese made one and the tone is night and day. So, the next best to the vintage SM57 is the e609, made in Germany.

The MXL 990 is a great all around "Condenser" mic. I use it to record acoustic guitars but I use more for room mic'ing. I use the e609 to mic the amp and use the MXL990 as ambient. This will give you a much fuller tone, almost 3 dimensional. You can get the MXL cheap for $49.00 with the case, and web mount. Its a great mic for the money.

The e609 is a Dynamic mic, by definition it will not be good to mic an acoustic. There is not enough force on the sound produced by an acoustic guitar to move the mechanical element inside the mic. Crude explanation but that is how it works.

Check out the MXL 990 for mic'ing acoustics. MF has them on sale for $49.00 with free shipping.

Can I just fess up and admit that I should have known this, but didn't check the specs on the e609?

• 3 weeks later...

MXL mikes are hit and miss. I have an MXL 4000 condenser, it is quite good; should be run through a tube pre amp. Haven't tried the r144 ribbon; for the price, why not try it. Ribbons are a useful addition to a mike collection. MXL Genesis are good mikes. Because MXLs are hit and miss, research what others say. I'll use MXLs for demos, then swith to higher end mikes for the real recordings. Sens e906 mikes are the standard for cabinet miking. Hope this helps.[unsure]

Because MXLs are hit and miss, research what others say.

That's been the problem. About two thirds of the reviews are "this mic is great!". And the other third are "MXL mics suck a$$". The bad reviews tend to have more color and sound like they are written by cats who know what they are talking about. I think I am going to pass for now.

Archived