Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 200 Guitar Strings

Michael

Hi, I just recently purchased a SJ 200 Modern Classic and am in rehearsals for a Everly Brothers Tribute Band and would like some advice. I'm looking for the sound produced by the Everly's on their earlier recordings. After much research I found that they used J 200's for the recordings and I wanted to stay true to the sound hence the SJ 200 came into my life. I love the sound of this guitar but I think I should step up to Masterbuilt Mediums .013 gauge strings instead of the light .012 gauge that it came with. My question is, if I change over to mediums will I have to change the action or will it be OK like it is from the factory. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has experiance with this. When you play Everly tunes you really push this guitar to the limit, strumming wise, and the lights are just not cutting it.

Thanks,

Michael

Have to agree with everyone on this one. I put meds on mine after about 1 yr of playing it with lights. Though I already was in love with it, it was like getting a new guitar. I didn't have to make any adjustments. With my AJ I had to just tweak the truss rod, but that was it.

Archived