Gibson Brands Forums

AlleyKat Colors

Dawgupp

Hey All...greetings from the left coast where at the moment it is not raining or on fire...

A quickie question. The Alleykat...I have two and love em both! Getting a bit odd about them actually...I really like them alot...

Also have a WildKat in the honey/yellow color whick I like the sound and looks of but keeping it tuned is driving me nuts, but that is a different story.

My Alleykats are in the cherry sunburst and the translucent black. I believe they also came in the tobacco and I thought I saw a kind of sea foam green one once. Anybody help me out on this one? There is probably a simple link for this somewhere but I am to computer challeneged to find it.

Thanks much!

Jay

a guitar owner learning how to play again...

on the wild kat i have the same problem use the bigsby and it doesnt come back for some reason. dont touch it and it stays in tune. problem is that most people dont realise that it should have a roller bridge and roller nut. i plan to do that change soon on mine

I have several guitars with Bigsbys and standard tune-o-matic bridges, and no problems on any of them. The most likely culprit is a bridge or nut slot that's too tight for the string gauge you're using. This causes the string to bind or stick in the slot instead of returning to its original position. It's easily fixed by a competent luthier --- also, sometimes a touch of graphite or "nut sauce" will solve the problem too.

If you're contemplating changing the bridge, I'd recommend a rocking bar bridge like the Tru-Arc over a roller bridge any day.

Also --- Dawgupp, the "sea-foam green AlleyKat" you claim to have seen was probably a turquoise WildKat. They were a standard color for a while, but I'm not aware of any similarly colored AlleyKats being offered anywhere.

Quite possible on the WildyKat turquoise color...I just caught a glimpse of one in a picture and incorrectly assumed it was an AlleyKat. Thanks for the heads up. And if I may, being a new guy and all is the AlleyKat available in the tobacco sunburst if you know?

The AlleyKat was discontinued, so you're unlikely to find a new one in any color. The tobacco burst was never as popular as the cherry burst or trans black (plus it was discontinued before the others), so there are likely fewer used ones out there. If you search diligently, you might find a dealer somewhere who still has a new one in stock, but your best bet is more likely to be a used one on eBay or Craigslist.

The AlleyKat was discontinued, so you're unlikely to find a new one in any color. The tobacco burst was never as popular as the cherry burst or trans black (plus it was discontinued before the others), so there are likely fewer used ones out there. If you search diligently, you might find a dealer somewhere who still has a new one in stock, but your best bet is more likely to be a used one on eBay or Craigslist.

Is this the Tobacco burst color? This is the only one I ever saw in this burst color. Never saw a new one at any store or online. I happened on this photo a couple of years ago and saved it, because it would be the color I would want.

AlleyKat.jpg

That looks more like a cherry sunburst in poor lighting, or else a more muted version of the cherry. The Tobacco Burst is more distinctly brown/black on the outside. My Joe Pass is labelled a "Heritage Cherry Sunburst," and it's very close to the colors in your pic. I actually prefer the more muted tones on the JP, although the brighter cherry burst looks great on Les Pauls or AlleyKats.

I'm a very experienced photographer, ( film & digital) and can tell you there nothing wrong with the lighting in this photo. In fact, I'd say it's nearer perfect. It appears to be natural sun light coming through a window on to the right side of the guitar. You can tell it's a little brighter on that side. This would have no drastic effect on the color. IMHO that Alleykat is exactly that color burst, no way is it cherry.

Faded...

Yep, that's the turquoise. Here's a pic of my Joe Pass, which is a very similar color to the AlleyKat pic you posted. This finish is called "Heritage Cherry Sunburst," and is distinctly less bright than other guitars I've seen that were labelled the same, so there is evidently quite a bit of variation among individual guitars. The finish was the same brand new, so its not faded, just more subtle.

EpiJoePass.jpg

Archived