Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Knob Question

ronco05

The description says those knobs are for "coarse knurled" shafts, which are what are found on the pots used by Gibson. These are also called "USA" by some sellers. The knobs you want will have "Fine knurled," "fine spline," "metric," or "imported" in the description. "Splines" or "Knurls" are the pattern of ridges that mate the knob to the pot shaft.

You can make coarse splined knobs fit onto fine spline shafts--just take the tip of an Exacto knife and run it inside the hole for the shaft a few times; eventually, it will smooth away enough of the excess plastic so that you can slip the knob onto the shaft.

Red 333

Now I am confused. I thought it was the opposite ie for the imported Dot, one would want to look for "course", ie course =import. The ebay vendor I am about to order from posts these explanations:

knobs.jpg

That is correct. I bought a set of "USA" knobs from my local Gibson/Epi shop, and they would not fit my Epi.

What Red is saying, is that if you work at it a bit with a knife you can make the knobs fit.

I did not try this, as I preferred getting the correct knobs.

Now I am confused. I thought it was the opposite ie for the imported Dot, one would want to look for "course", ie course =import. The ebay vendor I am about to order from posts these explanations:

knobs.jpg

You are right. I don't know what I was thinkimg. Too early in the morning. Fine = USA; Coarse = Import.

The trick about using USA knobs on Import shafts works fine, though.

Red 333

yes they will fit if you do what was said above. also you could use a drill to ream them out as i did . measure the shaft diameter over the knurl then drill them that size or a bit smaller. i put a set of gold tophats on my dot natural finish. look great i did what i just said and have no problem with them. if you use the drill method just be sure to hang on to them when drilling and go slow. if you somehow go over size and there loose you can just put a piece of paper inside to take up the gap rather than trying to expand the pot shaft possibly breaking it. those do look much better than the crappy ones that come on it new

Archived