Gibson Brands Forums

Dave Rawlings and the Machine

suburude63

I have been playing that CD/mp3 album daily since getting it last month. Dave & Gillian also have a nice performance over on NPR Tiny Desk Concerts.

In the latest Fretboard Journal there's a great interview with Dave and how he found his Epiphone.

Just sat there injoying the show when suddenly they glide into the grand Cortez.

", , , and the women all were beautiful and the men stood straight and strong

and they offered life in sacrifice - so that others could go on"

Fine, fine stuff, , , sounds like an excellent evening ~

David and Gillian with Solomon Burke, who passed away on Sunday.

Oh I love that performance. It's just perfect. Gil and Dave have played with so many musicians. I'll bet when Gil was cleaning motel rooms before they got famous she never thought she'd someday be singing/playing with some of the world's best musicians.

Oh I love that performance. It's just perfect. Gil and Dave have played with so many musicians. I'll bet when Gil was cleaning motel rooms before they got famous she never thought she'd someday be singing/playing with some of the world's best musicians.

I didn't know she cleaned motel rooms...I did know that her parents were writers on the Carol Burnett Show, so she did have a fairly upper-middle class childhood and got to hang with all those great creative people in Hollywood. She's from California....

I didn't know she cleaned motel rooms...I did know that her parents were writers on the Carol Burnett Show, so she did have a fairly upper-middle class childhood and got to hang with all those great creative people in Hollywood. She's from California....

If you ever have the time and inclination, this is a fabulous article on Gil and Dave.....

The Ghostly Ones by Alec Wilkinson:

: "For awhile, Welch made beds and cleaned bathrooms at a bed-and-breakfast. 'That was a good job for me,' she said. 'You can't listen to the stereo because you're moving from one room to another, and the vacuum is too loud; there's no entertainment so you have to provide it.I would write. Plus, I had a 40 minute drive there and back, and I have always been able to write when I'm driving, if I'm by myself.' She brought home tablecloths and napkins to iron. She and Rawlings lived in the same apartment building, and sometimes if Rawlings needed money, he did some ironing too."

I'll bet neither one of them does much ironing anymore [biggrin]

If you ever have the time and inclination, this is a fabulous article on Gil and Dave.....

The Ghostly Ones by Alec Wilkinson:

: "For awhile, Welch made beds and cleaned bathrooms at a bed-and-breakfast. 'That was a good job for me,' she said. 'You can't listen to the stereo because you're moving from one room to another, and the vacuum is too loud; there's no entertainment so you have to provide it.I would write. Plus, I had a 40 minute drive there and back, and I have always been able to write when I'm driving, if I'm by myself.' She brought home tablecloths and napkins to iron. She and Rawlings lived in the same apartment building, and sometimes if Rawlings needed money, he did some ironing too."

I'll bet neither one of them does much ironing anymore [biggrin]

I'll dig into this as soon as I can. Thanks!!

Archived