Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl Crow

soao

One first time deserves another. I bought my J45 in the 1970's second hand from a person that hardly ever played it. I played it until the frets wore out. I had a Gibson authorized luthier, C.W. Perkins in San Jose refret and do a complete set up. It's almost the only guitar I've ever played. Several years ago I longed for interaction and immersed myself in the local bluegrass scene. I found that I had to completely reinvent myself and my playing style. When I decided to play bluegrass, I didn't even own a flatpick. The main challenge was playing in such a way that I could project my sound so other members of the jam circle could hear my breaks. I'm sure the grassers in this forum can attest that you don't come across too many J45's. I will say that different players of the same guitar project out more so than others. Although I've improved a lot in that area, I couldn't help but wonder if something like a Martin D28 would be more suitable for bluegrass. I found myself in the neighborhood of an old guitar store early last Sunday morning. I was the only one upstairs in the acoustic section with and entire wall of fine guitars. I've read many reviews about guitars and they sound more like a wine reviews. Now I know why. Since my 70's J45 seems to be akin to a red headed step child on this board, I first of all, wanted to check out what new J45's had to offer. The first one I took off the wall was a 3 month old Sheryl Crow. It looks like an SJ to me with a clear finish. It sounded wonderful. It seemed to have more ommph in the lower strings and great balance. It was a great player. I thought my old trusty guitar at home had superior trebles. The Sheryl Crow, I think would project more so than mine at a jam. The next one off the wall was a J45. This felt, sounded and played like what I had at home minus the 40 years of seasoning. I thought my '70's ax measured up to this new one in every way. My treble was better. C.W. Perkins told me my guitar had outstanding treble. Then I tried some Martins; a few D28's, D35, and a D18. The D18 being a hog, sounded to me like what I left at home. It probably projected a little better, but obviously when you're the one playing, you hear it a little differently. The rosewoods Martins were noticeably louder. I can see why these are associated with bluegrass jamming. I also know what the word muddled means. The Martins didn't compare to my ears to the Gibbys for clean and clear separation. The trebles were almost an after thought. I finally tried a Blueridge BR160. This guitar certainly would win a lot of bang for the buck awards. Although the sound wasn't as full as the Martins, it was right up there in the volume department. It also seemed to be way behind what I'm used to hearing out of my J45 that I left at home as far as an even sound across the low to high strings. I'd say the Sheryl Crow was the best sounding guitar I played that day. I'm inclined to stay with what I have right now. Maybe some other jam circle players on the board can chime in with some advise as to how they wrench some more volume out of their J45's. My two first were playing all those guitars and posting on this forum.

I am not sure there is any easy way to get more volume other than go to heavier guage strings (or put a pickup on the guitar). Other than that I guess you would be looking at some drastic reshaping of the heavy bracing put in 1970s Gibsons that would lighten the braces allowing more vibration but without weakening them. And there is no guarantee what kind of sound would come out of the guitar afterwards.

I am more of a blues/rock guy but when I first started shopping for a life time acoustic guitar I went to Fullers in Houston and fell in love with the Sheryl Crow model that they had. I would have have bougt it on the spot if her name had not been on the 12th fret.

Archived