Gibson Brands Forums

One string refuses to "intonate" on my Epiphone Goth

MrSaint

Hi!

I managed to intonate almost all strings, searching the forums here, asking around for tips etc.

It holds the tune perfectly on: 6E, 5A, 4D .. 2B and 1E. It sorta holds it rather good on the 3G..

However.. I bought a chromatic tuner and did all the correct steps. But this string, only one of them is giving me a hard time - 3G.

Could it be that the string is defective? I read somewhere around here that someone else had that issue.

So far I have also raised the bridge, with only a half turn on each side. This eliminated the "flat" sound when going beyond the 12:th fret (thanks for that tips aswell!). Also changed the distance between strings to the pickup(s) so that would not interfeer.

After this I started to intonate each string, one at a time. Starting with the 6E and working down to 1E. It sounds good, even took it to a music teacher and he said "I can't find anything wrong with it". But on the tuner the needle goes to around "+20" when trying the 12:th fret. And I can't screw that one anymore.

None of my other guitars does this.

Also, someone recommended me to get another bridge. So I asked the girl at the shop "Which should I get then?".

She showed me different models, different prices:

1. Tune-O-Matic from Tone Pro's (with something string saver??)

2. A "universal no name" brand.

I was told that the Graphtec "Tune-O-Matic" can be adjusted more than the one on my guitar. It's expensive, but I get the most out of it since it's better [confused]

One thing I do know, I compared the bridge of my Epi to my Pro-Martin, and actually the Pro-Martin could be adjusted more..

This is where you all come in - should I try getting 1 new string (3G) or change them all, or perhaps as she said "Buy this and we can offer you new strings for free"? (One screw for one saddle is a little also damaged - needs to be replaced anyway).

She also suggested, that if it still doesn't work - come with it and they would take a look.

Sorry for the large text amount, but I don't really know what to do. Perhaps I'm looking for something to be perfect - and it can't be??

Hi!

[cursing][cursing][cursing]

None of my other guitars does this.

Based on the way I edited your original post/quote, it appears your

guitar has "Tourette's Syndrome". :rolleyes:

A Link to similar question will follow. Yes, your git can be intonated "dang Near"

perfectly. I'm saving the link I'm posting into favorites, for possible placement

in the Epi Lounge "DIY" thread, as this question has come up often enough to warrant

attention.

I'll also follow this thread, and hit a few research links about this topic.

Here's the link - Read, post back any questions still remaining!

"Intonation Help"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56640-intonation-help/

The string could be defective. First things first I would try a new string. If the strings are old, definitely get a new full set.

You might post a picture of your bridge showing how your saddles are currently lined up. Generally E-A-D will be in one angled straight line and G-B-E will be in another angled straight line. If one saddle seems way out of place after intonating (or trying to) that could point to a bad string, pickup interference, etc.

What gauge strings are you using? Generally heavier gauge will require a longer scale length and may cause you to run out of room with your low E or G. I have a USA Fender that will intonate with 9-42 but when I use 10-46 I run out of room on the low E string. I just live with it since I rarely play high up the neck on the low E string.

Also, sometimes saddles can be reversed to gain a little more adjustment.

This may sound weird, but I had the same problem with a Dot I used to have and when I changed the strings to a heavier gauge, it just stopped happening. May have just been a bad string that was on there, but it fixed the problem and also changed my string gauge preference lol.

Hi!

Thanks for all the replies. I do not own a digital camera as for now (they are "out of stock").

Strings are brand new Ernie Ball 010-046. The previous owner didn't really take good care of the guitar, since one of the saddle screws were damaged and never replaced.

I will try to intonate it once more, and also test to reverse the saddle.

Dean Markley strings? We don't seem to have them around here.. We have D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Fender, Elixir, "Skull Strings", Optima Gold,

DR Pure Blues, D'Angelico, GHS "Double Ball End Guitar Strings". Can't find Dean Markley.

Also, I have stainless steel strings. Could this make a difference, because on my Pro-Martin they are not stainless steel.

I'll follow that DIY link and test.

Thanks for all the replies & have a great weekend!

Archived