Gibson Brands Forums

Bound Fretboard

Supersonic

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a professional to "bind" a fretboard that's already on a guitar? I was playing my G400 Deluxe this morning and thinking to myself how sweet the fretboard would look with white or cream binding. (An ebony bound board would be even better, but anyway...) Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the subject.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a professional to "bind" a fretboard that's already on a guitar? I was playing my G400 Deluxe this morning and thinking to myself how sweet the fretboard would look with white or cream binding. (An ebony bound board would be even better, but anyway...) Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the subject.

The upcharge for getting a bound neck compared to an unbound one is usually around $100/£60, so I would guess you'd be looking at that plus the cost of a refret, and probably some finish work too. My guess is it would be MUCH better value to save up for an SG Standard and sell the G400 when the time comes...

Don't bother, unless you want ebony instead of rosewood. That's the only way it's worth it, as high grade ebony is MUCH nicer than high grade rosewood. I'm getting to where I don't even want rosewood (except on a Strat), as I much prefer ebony. You know, I might even have an ebony board put on my LPC. Lord knows I've spent way too much money on that guitar anyways... :rolleyes:

I don't think I explained the post properly. It's not like I am contemplating buying or not buying an SG, I was just curious about fretboards and wanted to see if anyone has had or seen an unbound board transformed into a bound one and how much it would cost someone to do, how difficult, ect. It's not something I would probably even ever have done.

LOL Yes, I know it would be better and make more sense to buy a Gibson SG than to try to put a bound ebony fretboard on a G400. [wink] Sorry for the confusion. Like I said, I was just curious.

SS101,

I sent you a PM with the info of the best luthier in our area.

These guys can give you an accurate quote. They have done alot of work for me and I have seen their restoration work on vintage instruments. Check it out.

It will cost a lot! The neck has to be routed, new binding cut and glued into place, sanded, then the neck needs to be refretted, and finally refinished.

It is also very hard to route the neck while it is attached to the body.

Buy a Tokai.

Archived