Gibson Brands Forums

Treble pickup fades out...

alans056

Hello

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Gibson 57 Classic pickups.

I installed the pickups myself (soldering and everything) and was very proud that it worked.

But for a few days now, the Treble pickup keeps getting disconnected somehow.

I put the selector on "Treble", it works and then "CRRSHHHHH..." and fades out :( And comes back again...

I dont know if it is a problem with my switch selector, or the soldering. Because BOTH LOOK FINE!!!!!!

I really don't know what to do :( Should I give my guitar to a local store to redo all the electronic ?

Hello

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Gibson 57 Classic pickups.

I installed the pickups myself (soldering and everything) and was very proud that it worked.

But for a few days now, the Treble pickup keeps getting disconnected somehow.

I put the selector on "Treble", it works and then "CRRSHHHHH..." and fades out :( And comes back again...

I dont know if it is a problem with my switch selector, or the soldering. Because BOTH LOOK FINE!!!!!!

I really don't know what to do :( Should I give my guitar to a local store to redo all the electronic ?

Bummer. There are people on this forum that have WAY more knowledge than me about this, but I don't think that the switch would cause that problem. It's probably just a loose wire. I'm sure someone will chime in soon and give you better advice. Good luck!

Also while you're looking at the wiring, be sure that you didn't accidentally melt the shield wire through the insulation to the point of shorting out on the "hot" lead(s). Sounds like a bad connection or a short. How long ago did you install the pups? When you're troubleshooting ANYTHING that you've just worked on, look at the last thing(s) you did. usually that's where the problem will be, but not always. If all the wiring checks out check the switch.

It's a booger to see CLEARLY all your solder tabs. I'm not going to

reuse your original pic, I can scroll back!

What wiring diagram did you use as reference, or did you just copy what you

saw from original pups? Hard to verify, but it LOOKS like middle tab has no

wires connected, PLUS, it looks like there are a couple of wire strands that may be

accidentally touching the tab - Heat makes metal/wiring theoretically "expand",

which would result in a strand temporarily making contact with a point it shouldn't.

Need more info. I added a pic - had to copy yours, crop and rotate to try and get better

view, as standing on my head didn't produce the results I wanted.

If it WORKED, then suddenly doesn't, most likely simple problem, just gotta FIND it.

My Pic (actually YOUR Pic):

dsc001318.jpg

Thank you very much for your help. The Rythm pickup started to do the same ! :(

I resoldered some things and it seems to be OK, but I should consider giving the guitar to a shop if it keeps coming back...

I didn't use any diagram, I just did what I saw from the stock pickups! Tab 2 and 3 were already there!

Thank you very much for your help. The Rythm pickup started to do the same ! :(

I resoldered some things and it seems to be OK, but I should consider giving the guitar to a shop if it keeps coming back...

I didn't use any diagram, I just did what I saw from the stock pickups! Tab 2 and 3 were already there!

To get it working correctly, might be good idea as you are new to soldering? Hey, you'll get

better, just practice!

To me it's odd that there appears to be no connection to middle volume tab. With Stock/Modern

wiring for Epis, the middle tab is the output to the 3 way switch. [confused][confused]

Gotta have them diagrams as reference!

Typical MODERN/STOCK EPI wiring (shows 4 conductor, but has a small box indicating

what to do with 2 conductor....

2h_2v_2t_3w.jpg

not being critical but your solder joints look very lumpy and way too much solder probably because your iron isnt hot enough. if you take it to a shop the first thing they will do is re do all the solder joints. judging by the brown spots theres alot of rosin in there possibly causing either loose or poor connections.what you see in the attatched photo is what you want to end up with . nice clean solder joints with residual flux on the outside.

again this isnt a criticism just trying to help out i learned the hard way myself.

im repeating but it looks like you need a hotter soldering iron and less solder. hope this helps you

I just had the same problem with a mate's Peavey Rockingham, it was dirt in the pot. It cleaned up fine with Servisol, until he got it home! I now have the guitar back again and I'm replacing all the crappy electrics!

Let us know what your tech diagnoses?

Archived