Gibson Brands Forums

The 08 335 really a customm shop guitar?

Sånglöf

Hi...

I was wondering if the regular es 335 (mine from 2008) really is a custom shop guitar?!

It came in a custom shop case, with a card of autheticiti.

What makes me wonder is the serial number, wich is a regular 8-digit number, not a custom shop "CSXXXXX". And I also heard from another forum that these guitars are regular Gibson USA, just thrown into custom shop cases. Is this really true? If so, I think it's horrible! False marketing in my opinion, even though i'm really pleased with the guitar!

Hope to get a good answear on this one...

Was your guitar made in Nashville or Memphis, I suspect Memphis.

EVERY guitar that comes out of the Memphis plant is "officially" designated "custom shop". I believe it's the "Historic" reissues that come from the Nashville Custom Shop that carry the "CS" serial numbers.

^ no, CS is just regular Custom Shop guitars. Historic 335s are (A or B)-MYRRR.

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of Historic ES production for that year.

Check the sticker inside one of the F holes to see where it's made. I also say Memphis.

Sånglöf, you answered your own question with the 8-digit serial number part.

EVERY guitar that comes out of the Memphis plant is "officially" designated "custom shop".

This is true. "Officially designated" are the key words there.

Sanglof and Larry,[confused]

It is probably, Memphis. All ES-335 models supposedly come from there now. Larry, you know the endless bickering on this one. Sanglof, does it have a sticker on the back of the neck? Did you pay more? Do you like the thing? Save your certificate, custom case and just know Gibson's official position is, "all ES models are made in Memphis and Memphis is the ES Custom Shop now". < That is from a previous Gibson worded post now wiped out in all the forum changes. Sanglof, I don't know if your guitar got any special attention, or none such. But, if Gibson calls it a Custom, so can you. I guess I would always preface my claim as a,'Memphis Custom Shop, ES'.

Gibson is getting very scary. What matters is if you have yourself a good one. I hope so. And, if so, frame your certificate and enjoy your guitar without looking back. Good luck.

Edit 18:57 hrs: Never mind. R9 has replied and he, besides knowing it all, said it better (maybe not kinder) than me. Ok this time, R9?dry.gif

Steve

Hi all there

I have the same question to the same guitar.

I have a ES-335 faded cherry, i believe it is from 2008 too (can't remember how to check), the serial number in the booklet is: ESDSRDCH1 then 00398XXX. Or is it from 1998? On the sticker in the f-holes it says that it was made in memphis, it has no neck bindings, gibson delux tuners with plastic ends. At the end of the neck on the plate to cover the neck-bolt - it says ES-335 which i haven't actually seen on any other es-335s ??

I have to say that i am pretty much pleased with it.

what es-335 models are produced? reissues, Custom memphis, Custom Nashville? What is the difference?

thanks a lot

i am actually writing this with the guitar lying on my lap = )

High Flow

I have an '09 ES-335 which is like the others mentioned here - "Custom" on the case, and a COA. But my understanding is it's not a "custom shop" guitar. I think Gibson intentionally makes this confusing so people think they're getting something more than they are. Whatever. I knew all this going in, it's a great guitar, so I'm happy.

Same with my '06 335, but no COA, just custom on the case. Makes no difference, imho, since there's really no "custom" work going on here. Even more so with the 339. I've got the case, COA, sticker on the back of the neck & custom shop serial number, but these are all just assembly line guitars. The only thing that matters is whether or not you get one that puts a smile on your face when you play it!

"CUSTOM" sounds like Gibson marketing to make you feel good and pay the $$$$.

I've been to the MEM factory many times and do not see any different treatment of the customs. Unless Gibson puts in a "custom mojo" in some top secret room at the factory. [unsure]

Gibson Custom, a Gibson brand, has a shop in Memphis...it is called the Gibson Custom Memphis factory.

The Gibson Custom Memphis factory builds all the ES hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars, the white Les Paul and the Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck. (as of earlier this year.)

The ES335, the ES339, the ES137 etc. are built in the Gibson Custom Shop in Memphis. They come with Custom Shop cases and Custom Shop COAs.

My CS-336 was built in the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville. They build CS Les Pauls, SGs, L-5s, Flying Vs, Super 400s and many more there. They come with Custom Shop cases and Custom Shop COAs.

I think the definition is what catches people it is a Custom not a Custom Shop same as mine. Even though they say its made in the custom shop its still not classed as a custom shop with CSXXXXX and headstock marking. But in saying that they are generally made by the same people with the same care and the same machines just on different locations. I had a huge fight with my store because I was sold a "custom shop' and paid more than a cherry sitting next to it. Mine they won on a technicality because the paint was custom finish.

Archived