Gibson Brands Forums

Dynamics

daveinspain

Hey Matt!

Good to see you here again.

I once had the good fortune to play in a concert band directed by Clarence Sawhill (Professor Emeritus, UCLA)...

Whilst winding through the "The Stars and Stripes Forever", he used to pull out portions of the band in the first cycle of the first, second, and third strains, all the while placing his finger to his lips and whispering "Shhh.... We're hunting wabbits!"

Dynamics indeed.

PAY ATTENTION and LISTEN to what's going on around you. The best musical collaborations and improvisations are CONVERSATIONS. It doesn't matter whether you're the soloist or the accompanist, if you don't listen what's being said, how can you answer.

Words of wisdom for any musician. During the short time I took drum lessons this was the biggest thing my instructor emphasized: listen. You have to pay attention to what the other musicians are doing, how your playing is fitting in, and where the song is going. I don't have any magic tricks. I just do my best to listen to the song and adjust my strumming and/or picking to fit the section. Sometimes it means more wrist. Other times it means soft strumming over the fretboard. It can also be up strums at the bridge for those chimey, ringing notes.

Archived