Gibson Brands Forums

Dot on the way - New member

gknuck

Hey everyone;

Great to find this forum. I've been shopping for a few months now agonizing over an Epi Dot or possibly a Ibanez AF75. However I have a couple of acoustics which one is a 1980 Epiphone "000" size PR600-ASB that was made in Japan, is a beautiful sunburst and plays great so the Dot won out.

My other acoustic is a 1971 Grammer G10 Brazilian Rosewood beauty made in Nashville-TN that plays and sounds like a dream. I bought it in 1977 for $200 and had it ever since. Worth about $1800 now, wish I had bought several more back then at $200. :)

Now I'm an owner of a 2003 Ebony Dot that looks to be in excellent shape.

It has the hard shell case, and the owner had the stock PUs replaced with Seymour Duncans, a Jazz SH2 in the neck and a JB SH4 in the bridge. Since I'm new to the electric scene are these pickups fairly decent pickups. I'll be playing some gospel, blues, and bluegrass. Though I do have the acoustic axes for the bluegrass.

I'm hoping I didn't get hurt on the price?

I picked it up online for $250.

If it was made in 2003 would that mean it was made in China?

I don't have the serial number yet as it's been shipped out today to me, so I should have more details after Tuesday or Wednesday.

Can't wait to get it and see how it plays, the ones I played in the stores played great. This is my very first semi-hollow body, and my first electric since 1970.

Can someone suggest a decent amp for the Dot in the $150 range or under?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks and I'm glad to find the forum.

Gary

1) Welcome!

2) The Duncan Pickups are quality.

3) If your Dot is in good shape and plays like it should, then you definitely did good for $250 (especially with the case).

4) There are tons of good little amps in that price range. It pretty much depends on the sound you want and how loud you need the amp to be.

There are lots of affordable low wattage tube amps on the market these days. The tone of a good tube amp can't be beat. However, if you need MORE VOLUME at that price, you may want to look at a solid state.

For whatever it's worth, my suggestion for an amp in that price range (actually it's a little bit more, like $170-ish) would probably be a Vox Valvetronix VT15. It can get surprisingly loud, it actually uses a 12AX7 tube, and you can get tons of different sounds with all of the different amp modes.

Thanks RaSTuS I appreciate it.

I can see from the posts through out the forum there's a bunch of friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable people.

Hopefully I can contribute some too though my background is more video-audio production and computer networks/programming.

After a couple of years absence from playing due to heart surgery and a finger injury, I'm rediscovering my passion for the guitar. I hope to start buying some fixer uppers and test the modding waters as a hobby.

:)

Gary

Welcome! I just got my Dot last week! I really love mine and yours comes already upgraded! Woo hoo! Make sure to post picks and a review when you get it.

Walt

PS: you didn't mention the nut, but I changed mine from plastic to bone right away. Bone or Tusq - the only ways to go.

congrats on the dot ive had one since 99 your gonna love it . as to the amp go a little more and look for a ad120 on ebay there around 400. the amp has everything. no need for any affects pedals and it emulates other amps and cabinets. i had one it was a great amp. then i changed the grill cloth to the brown looked like an ac30. well worth the extra bucks.

Thanks RaSTuS I appreciate it.

I can see from the posts through out the forum there's a bunch of friendly,

helpful and very knowledgeable people.

Hopefully I can contribute some too though my background is more video-audio production

and computer networks/programming.

After a couple of years absence from playing due to heart surgery and a finger injury,

I'm rediscovering my passion for the guitar. I hope to start buying some fixer uppers

and test the modding waters as a hobby.:)

Gary

Welcome to the Forum, just passing thru, saw your post.

Oh, man - I see ANOTHER potential victim of "G.A.S." - it got me!!!!!! [scared]

Woooo-Hoooo!

Ask away with any questions, comments, etc. Many folks here to HELP,

unlike a nearby forum (ahem....). :rolleyes:

Thanks AMX and animalfarm.

Animalfarm, at least it's a good kind of G.A.S.!

[smile]

Amx, I'll check out the amp but doubt I'll spend that much, not unless I can trade or sell some of my recording stuff I have here.

I recently semi-retired from my home business and mostly work at a college full time. My home business was recording conferences so I have several USB DAWs for the computer (Edirols) that I'll probably be selling plus some other equip. So who knows I might end up spending more than I think. [smile]

Gary

Thanks AMX and animalfarm.

Animalfarm, at least it's a good kind of G.A.S.!

[smile]

Amx, I'll check out the amp but doubt I'll spend that much, not unless I can trade or sell some of my recording stuff I have here.

I recently semi-retired from my home business and mostly work at a college full time. My home business was recording conferences so I have several USB DAWs for the computer (Edirols) that I'll probably be selling plus some other equip. So who knows I might end up spending more than I think. [smile]

Gary

Gary, if you ever end up selling those Edirols, mention them here first, might just be a few on this forum interested them, besides which it'll save you advertising.[tongue]

I just bout my Dot last night, its due to arrive early next week : )

Congratulations Dragoro, I know you'll like it.

Got mine last night!

It looks to be in great shape and plays good, but does have a buzz on the low E but a setup should fix that. Also needs new strings for sure. Think I'll add a tusq or bone nut at the same time too. :)

The case is like new. So I think for $250 I did real good as long as the buzz is nothing serious.

It's a 2004 made in China at Dea Won.

Pics forthcoming once I get time to take and send them.

Congratulations Dragoro, I know you'll like it.

Got mine last night!

It looks to be in great shape and plays good, but does have a buzz on the low E but a setup should fix that. Also needs new strings for sure. Think I'll add a tusq or bone nut at the same time too. :)

The case is like new. So I think for $250 I did real good as long as the buzz is nothing serious.

It's a 2004 made in China at Dea Won.

Pics forthcoming once I get time to take and send them.

HNGD gknuck.

Gary, if you ever end up selling those Edirols, mention them here first, might just be a few on this forum interested them, besides which it'll save you advertising.[tongue]

I've got 6 and will probably sell 4 or maybe 5. Also a couple of flash portable recorders too. (Marantz PMD660 and Edirol R-1)

I'll do that in the future then once I can take some pics, etc. I just didn't want to come in here as a newbie and start trying to sell stuff, don't want to alienate people right off the bat after joining the forum.

[biggrin]

Thank you for mentioning that.

Gary

HNGD gknuck.

Thank you, it was a happy new guitar day... grin ...

I dropped it off at the local guitar shop today and they said no damage that it looked to be in excellent structural shape and he would make it sound like new, do the neck and frets and recondition it.

[smile]

Welcome gknuck

Sounds like you've got a great Dot with quality pickups

I agree the Vox VT15 is good at that price range...I use one

I've got an ebony Epi Sheraton which is slightly similar [thumbup]

:-({|=

Thank you!

Those Sheratons are nice in my book, you've got a great axe there.

[thumbup]

My Dot came today! Much different sound then my les paul, which is what i was looking for. Its beautiful and Im sorry I waited this long to pick one up. One thing im going to have to do is change the strings to elixirs. Ive gotten used to them on my lp, and using the regular strings on the dot makes it feel strange doing bend vibratos cause the strings dont slide across the frets nearly as smoothly but that is an easy fix. In the end I have to say this is one great guitar.

My Dot came today! Much different sound then my les paul, which is what i was looking for. Its beautiful and Im sorry I waited this long to pick one up. One thing im going to have to do is change the strings to elixirs. Ive gotten used to them on my lp, and using the regular strings on the dot makes it feel strange doing bend vibratos cause the strings dont slide across the frets nearly as smoothly but that is an easy fix. In the end I have to say this is one great guitar.

To quote RasTus

"Happy New Guitar Day"!

I pick mine up tomorrow afternoon, can't wait to play it with new strings, reworked fretboard and frets and setup.

Woo Hoo :)

Gary

Which finish did you get on your Dot?

Also how do you like your Taylor, I plan to buy one next year at the Taylor road show when it comes to my local shop.

Thanks and congrats again on the new addition.

I got the vintage sunburst. Im addicted to that style, got my lp in that style too.

I love my Taylor, but be aware that they are very bright sounding guitars. Sometimes its a little hard to get the base sound out mine, but over all its a beautiful sounding guitar. When I have the funds, my next purchase will be an upgrade for my Taylor 110, and it will definitely be with another Taylor.

HNGD Dragoro.

I got the vintage sunburst. Im addicted to that style, got my lp in that style too.

I love my Taylor, but be aware that they are very bright sounding guitars. Sometimes its a little hard to get the base sound out mine, but over all its a beautiful sounding guitar. When I have the funds, my next purchase will be an upgrade for my Taylor 110, and it will definitely be with another Taylor.

Yes they are bright sounding, different sound from my Grammer which is just like a Martin. But the Taylors sure do play good.

I love the Sunburst too and the Ebony.

[thumbup]

Archived