Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Plant and The Band Of Joy

albertjohn

The BBC's Electric Proms featured Robert Plant and the newly reformed Band Of Joy and I caught some of this on the TV over the weekend.

His lead guitarist Buddy Miller, was seen using a Vintage Sunburst J185-12. My favourite 12 string.

If any of you get a chance to see this online or any of the BBC overseas offerings, give it a look. A real treat, particularly when they were using a circa 30 voice choir on a couple of songs.

It sounded even better live "in the flesh" as it were.... What a great, understated guitarist.

You were there Bob? Fantastic.

Hugely under-rated. The Gibson was the only guitar I recognised. Presumably the other 2 electrics I spotted in the clips I saw are custom made. What a great sound he made!

Gonna get the cd. Not a huge LZ fan (don't dislike them, mind) but Raising Sands with Alison Krauss is one of my all time favourite albums.

You were there Bob? Fantastic.

Hugely under-rated. The Gibson was the only guitar I recognised. Presumably the other 2 electrics I spotted in the clips I saw are custom made. What a great sound he made!

Gonna get the cd. Not a huge LZ fan (don't dislike them, mind) but Raising Sands with Alison Krauss is one of my all time favourite albums.

Ah, to be fair, I wasn't at that gig, but saw them earlier in the week at Cardiff St David's Hall (approx 1500-seater & great acoustics - a "proper" theatre). The sound was fantastic & the band are as tight as a duck's arse. I've got the Proms show on my Sky+ planner, but haven't watched it yet. From my seat at the show, I didn't recognise any of the other guitars.

I was a big Zep fan in the 70s & 80s but sadly never got to see them. Plant's interraction with the audience was really good. I really liked the Raising Sand album, and The Mighty Rearranger, but this Band Of Joy outfit is something else.

I agree it was a great concert with some terrific guitar playing....I counted 3 or more Gretsch electrics, Chet Atkins type and Duo Jet or similar. The pedal steel was wonderful.

And prior to that there was a programme on Robert Plant's background and early bands and influences

All in all an evening of Robert Plant which turned out better than expected [thumbup]

:-({|=

I like Buddy Miller. Never was a big Robert Plant fan. Be it with Zepp or later collaborative efforts. Can,t quite say what it is, but he never struck a chord with me, personally. All very talented, but I never bought a single Zepp or Plant album(CD). I have in later years, learned to appreciate what they were trying to do with the blues....but it alluded me at the time. RRod

Proud to say that I surfed the first Led Zep wave. Still have my original vinyl II and III just in the next room. (Did you know it means a Zeppelin air-ship of lead, impossible to get lifted). Lost them a little around 74 when I turned towards more acoustic based music, but never got over Whole Lotta Love. One of the biggest rock-attacks ever recorded. The riff is plain magic (if you allow the phrase) there's almost nothing and then this enormous power -

der-der der-der der deder deder deder deder deder deder – it's Himalaya to me.

The BBC's Electric Proms featured Robert Plant and the newly reformed Band Of Joy and I caught some of this on the TV over the weekend.

His lead guitarist Buddy Miller, was seen using a Vintage Sunburst J185-12. My favourite 12 string.

If any of you get a chance to see this online or any of the BBC overseas offerings, give it a look. A real treat, particularly when they were using a circa 30 voice choir on a couple of songs.

I've had a chance to watch this now (along with the other 2 Robert Plant programmes on that night) and we also intrigued to see Darrell Scott playing a fretless 5-string Banjo. Never seen such a beast before. Class, though. He jumped freely between banjo, guitar, mandolin & pedal-steel guitar!!

Great stuff.

Also, I think Patty Griffin was playing a J-200 at one point.

I've had a chance to watch this now (along with the other 2 Robert Plant programmes on that night) and we also intrigued to see Darrell Scott playing a fretless 5-string Banjo. Never seen such a beast before. Class, though. He jumped freely between banjo, guitar, mandolin & pedal-steel guitar!!

Great stuff.

Also, I think Patty Griffin was playing a J-200 at one point.

I heard something odd in one of the songs and though "fretless banjo? Preposterous!" I was wrong.

Never seen or heard of one before either.

Archived