Gibson Brands Forums

How do you develop your ear?

Sancho Panza

A rare gift indeed, one he is sincerely thankful for. He took violin at age 8 and by the age of 13 was playing classical piano which he is self taught, guitar was self taught as well. This past Christmas after picking the Banjo up for the first time ever, he was able to play Foggy Mountain Breakdown pretty much complete after an hour or so of playing.

He is at school now working on his PHD in computer science. This has slowed his playing down a good bit but he still plays but not professionally. I think he will get back into performing as a form of stress release after his studies.

Sorry for the long answer, can you tell I'm a proud dad? [biggrin]

Proud dad indeed and rightly so. Foggy Mountain Breakdown after an hour. Most of us can only dream! Excellent stuff.

Good starter songs.....

Wild Thing....chords A,D and E

La Bamba(+Twist and Shout)....chords C,F and G7

Not Fade Away....chords E,A then A,D

Amazing Grace....chords G,C and D

Buffalo Gals(go round the outside)....G and D7....yes they really do.... <_<

:-({|=

Good starter songs.....

Wild Thing....chords A,D and E

La Bamba(+Twist and Shout)....chords C,F and G7

Not Fade Away....chords E,A then A,D

Amazing Grace....chords G,C and D

Buffalo Gals(go round the outside)....G and D7....yes they really do.... <_<

I was thinking that maybe "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield is a good song too, only four basic chords; E, D, A and C.

Hey, best of luck with that one. I'm not nearly skilled enough to play any of their stuff with any degree of competance. I did "learn" with alot of help from our friends at Line 6 - Guitar Port - the solo to Kid Charlamagne. You can slow stuff down to 1/2 speed on GP but I was never able to get it to full speed.

Some of the chords on their stuff is beyond me but a great challenge. Good on ya.

Thanks AlbertJohn. I'll have to check out guitar port. I went to lake this weekend and worked on it while my wife studied (psychology nonetheless). It's coming along. Something I learned a long time ago that helped me develop my ear was actually visualizing yourself playing the parts when you hear a song and don't have your guitar in your hands. It's akin to humming the song. I did it so much this weekend that I actually dreamed about the freakin song! [scared]

I've been trying to figure out songs now, and it's getting really frustrated, since i don't know every chord. But how do you develop your hearing? Should i listen do more music or just learn as many chords as possibly?

All you gotta do these days is go to youtube and type in any song you want to learn, and chances are someone has made a acoustic cover of it... just watch what they do and apply it. The best way to learn chords super fast besides just looking at pictures, is by practicing scales because thats all chords are is different notes of a scale combined. The sooner you learn your scales, the better chords will fall into place all over the fretboard.

All you gotta do these days is go to youtube and type in any song you want to learn, and chances are someone has made a acoustic cover of it... just watch what they do and apply it. The best way to learn chords super fast besides just looking at pictures, is by practicing scales because thats all chords are is different notes of a scale combined. The sooner you learn your scales, the better chords will fall into place all over the fretboard.

Thanks for the tips, but if you look in the thread you will see that i posted some songs that i want you learn, and there is no tabs, no chords, no tutorial/lesson anything on the web. I have to learn it all by ear.

But i will differently check out some scales!

Thanks,

Mike

I was thinking that maybe "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield is a good song too, only four basic chords; E, D, A and C.

Yes good one...

And as has been suggested...watch players on U Tube

Get a capo too, to make transposing easy and to develop your ear

V

Yeah, start with a simple song that you like. One with just three or four easy chords.

It helped me to play along with a song, especially with my eyes closed. Somehow that developed a better feel for the neck, strings and frets. It also helped me refine the position of my pick, and my attack.

I even found I could advance from strumming to cross-picking pretty easily by practicing mostly with my eyes closed.

Be persistent...it takes time.

Doug

Thanks AlbertJohn. I'll have to check out guitar port. I went to lake this weekend and worked on it while my wife studied (psychology nonetheless). It's coming along. Something I learned a long time ago that helped me develop my ear was actually visualizing yourself playing the parts when you hear a song and don't have your guitar in your hands. It's akin to humming the song. I did it so much this weekend that I actually dreamed about the freakin song! [scared]

Dreaming about being Larry Carlton and having a wife studying psychology? Sounds like a fun combination. :blink:

I've got a good ear for chords and intervals etc, but when it comes to lead guitar and/or melodies, I'm a shape man. I find it really hard to visualise what notes to play but with a guitar in my hand, as long as I have learned a solo, it works.until I make a mistake and then I'm buggered.

Good luck with the SD stuff. I love them and have the greatest respect for people who can play their stuff. [thumbup]

Archived