Gibson Brands Forums

im making a neck

hotshot9991

Ok so I found a neck blank, thats maple and the mesurements are-30 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide, and 3/4 thick

.Im looking to make a neck like the one on evhs frankenstein.So I have a 1989 fender thats a 61 resissue, gonna take mesurements from that the only thing is the blank isnt long enough by about 1 inch, it's not wide enough by about 1/2 an inchs ,and the neck on mine, just the neck is 1 inch thick thenk is 3/4 inches thick is that a huge problem??? but if I was to add wood on the ends on the headstock were they needed to be.would there be a visable

line going right through were I added the wood or would it hardly be noticable or not at all?

Ok so I found a neck blank, thats maple and the mesurements are-30 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide, and 3/4 thick

.Im looking to make a neck like the one on evhs frankenstein.So I have a 1989 fender thats a 61 resissue, gonna take mesurements from that the only thing is the blank isnt long enough by about 1 inch, it's not wide enough by about 1/2 an inchs ,and the neck on mine, just the neck is 1 inch thick thenk is 3/4 inches thick is that a huge problem??? but if I was to add wood on the ends on the headstock were they needed to be.would there be a visable

line going right through were I added the wood or would it hardly be noticable or not at all?

Keep us posted on the progress.... [thumbup]

I don't really know...Perhaps you could look for a neck blank that will fit your project...I'll do a bit of research for you as I don't mind learning even at my old age..You should post pictures of your first finished guitar.

ok what,i think your saying is. you have a blank neck but it doesnt measure rite lol.what you want to do is maybe find a neck that measures right or add wood to the neck you have to make it more like the one you want, so doing that will make the seams be visible.unless you paint wood or something lol

Ya know, key in GUITAR NECK BLANKS and look around. Gilmer Woods has some nice blanks. Key in BUILDING GUITAR NECKS, there are many sites there to help you. If I understand your questions correctly, you want to know about gluing more wood to the headstocks and otherwise. This is done a lot with lesser expensive guitars, but those factories know what they are doing.......I say, you should start with body and neck blanks that are going to be fully within the size ranges that you need...Another thought, you can add a fancy veener to the guitar body, or even a flat fancy figured maple or other figured wood to the body; it would give it a nice touch...I've never built a guitar from scratch, so, I can't be of much help.....But, you want to start with blanks that are the right size to begin with...Building a neck from scratch is a hard thing. You may want to consider a semi-finished neck from a company like Warmoth or Carvin....

Yup yup, Big Kahune posted the best neck site for you.......What you SHOULD do is; get a pre-made neck for your guitar...it won't make it any less of a homemade guitar.......

MAKE YOUR NECK BUILDING PROJECT a separate project; Building a neck is going to bog you down in your project.......Learn how to build the neck as a SEPERATE project, and if it comes out right, use it for your next project.......

Archived