Gibson Brands Forums

The EC Beano Les Paul

Guitarfreak

Does anybody have any info on the upcoming EC Beano Les Paul, Prices? Models, VOS, Aged, Aged and Signed, How many will be made of each, will Eric play the signed ones? Are they to be a replica of the guitar photographed in the Album John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton? will they recreate the sound of the pickups? uncovered cream pickups as in the photographs. Will they be Murphy Aged? Any additional case candy for the Aged and Signed ones?

Let's get started shall we?

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have heard ,the Signed and Aged will be done by Tom Murphy. 50 pcs. I have not heard a price yet.

What i was told is, they will be in the price range of the Page Sig. As he has set the bar. The Aged & VOS I'm not sure, so I won't say. I heard nothing about Mr.Clapton playing them. I think not. Although I could be wrong. But that's not the impression I got. Gibson understands the importance of the guitar in Blues and R&R history and Eric Claptons standing in the guitar players world. I hope that the guitar they offer is something very special as well. More so than what they have offered in the recent past(sig. guitars). Not that they were not 1st class guitars. But this guitar represents a different level of history in the world of guitars than the other RI's do. I would like to see Gibson do a real custom build. Custom wound pups,hide glue, etc. Old school built.I think this guitar calls for it. The Custom Shop makes great guitars and I am lucky enough to have a few. I hope they are allowed to show us their full talent. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

lol no it doesnt. it makes it a regular R0 with an even more ridiculous markup. [biggrin]

at least with sig like the JP 1 and 2, Gibson had the guitars in hand. I like old school Clapton, but this is just as silly as the Bloomie and JP Custom sigs. But like I said, good for gibson because people will certainly pay for it.

If you simply must have one, you can..."Buy It Now".

"Approximately US $40,982.84"

GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP ERIC CLAPTON BEANO BURST LES PAUL

LIMITED RUN OF 50 HAND SIGNED BY ERIC CLAPTON

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-ERIC-CLAPTON-BEANO-BURST-LES-PAUL-/260705657000?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb344a0a8#ht_2012wt_802

If link doesn't work, try item number: 260705657000 or MusicGroundInc. E-Bay store link:

http://stores.ebay.com:80/MusicGroundInc/Gibson-/_i.html?_fsub=1930428015&_sid=873398435&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

SPECIFICATIONS (as designated by artist)

2-piece "lightly figured" maple top

1-piece mahogany back

Single-ply cream binding on top

1-piece mahogany neck

Thin 1960 "Eric Clapton" profile

Holly headstock veneer

Rosewood fingerboard

22 frets

Acrylic trapezoid inlays

Single-ply cream binding on neck

24 3/4" scale length, 1" nut width

Vintage style tuners

Tune-o-matic (ABR-1) bridge

Stop bar tailpiece

Custom bucker pickups

Gold tophat knobs w/dial pointers

Antiquity Burst finish

LIMITED EDITION TO 50

50 Aged (by Tom Murphy) & Signed Eric Clapton Engraved wood plaque with May 5,1966 "Beano" comic cover; Engraved leather COA, limited 180mg vinyl of John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton & vintage replica strap

All instruments come with Custom Shop case silkscreened with Eric’s signature.

TERMS All specs are subject to change without notice. Actual color may vary slightly.

Delivery date "December 2010"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spot on Joe Japan.that's what the numbers will be. And to eveyone complaining about the price. Know one is forcing you to buy one.

And even after that, you think Gibson should sell it at the price you would like to pay. Here in America it's ok to make money. in fact your supposed to make as much as you can. That's called capitalisom. Please give it a rest. Gibson charges what it thinks the market will bear. These are collector guitars, yes you could use the VOS and the Aged even the signed and aged, but for those there are far more collectors than guitars. and very possibly worth more money in the near future.From what I have heard Gibsom thinks these guitars will be like the Pages At the least they should be nice to use as they will he custom pups and a thin neck. From some of the reviews I've read of people how already have them ,they like them alot. So give them a chance before you condem them.

• 3 weeks later...

The Eric Clapton 1960 Les Paul will be produced in extremely restricted numbers: 55 guitars will be hand-aged by renowned finishing expert Tom Murphy, and hand-signed by Clapton himself (with Clapton keeping the first 5 guitars). A further 95 guitars will be Murphy-aged, and 350 guitars will be finished with Gibson's Vintage Original Spec (VOS) treatment. All 500 guitars

aged/signed-55

aged-95

vos-350

---------

all-500

I just tried a VOS (#97 of 350) and it seems worth the $6K. If you base the price on inflation alone...approximately double the amount every decade. I calculate that a LP Standard should sell for about $5-5.6K. I believe back in 1960, a Chevy Corvette MSRP was around $3,500. A LP Standard around $400 street price. So take 400 in 1960/$800 in '70/ $1600 in '80/ 3200 in ' 90/ 6400 in 2000...I will stop there because inflation went flat in the past decade. So, I believe Gibson has a fair price for a great guitar. I don't care for the EC stencil signature on the case and the Beano comic.

Perhaps I am trying to justify my probable purchase. As an owner of several Les Paul models...The EC Beano has the best TONE for sure. I believe I can get used to the slim neck. As a player and student of over 50 years I believe Gibson got it right. the neck pup has something going on

I currently own a Black Beauty 57 reissue, a '59 LP Standard reissue and a '55 Gold Top LP Std.reissue with Lollar P-90's . I believe the '59 reissue will need to go to make room for the EC Beano

• 2 weeks later...

Bonhams To Sell Eric Clapton's Guitars And Amps On 9 March 2011 In New York City

Published: 4 December 2010

AUCTION IN AID OF THE CROSSROADS CENTRE, WHICH WAS FOUNDED BY ERIC CLAPTON. Bonhams has announced a landmark auction, which will include over 150 lots from Eric Clapton's personal collection. The sale will feature over 70 guitars and 70 amps that have helped create Clapton's legendary sound. This is the first time the rock icon has donated so many of his historic amplifiers to auction, giving the public a rare opportunity to purchase a piece of Clapton history. The sale takes place in New York City at the Bonhams salesroom on Wednesday, 9 March 2011. Viewing will be available in the Bonhams salerooms on the following dates:

Los Angeles: 7601 West Sunset Boulevard: Friday 11th February – Sunday 13th February 2011

New York: 580 Madison Avenue: Saturday 5th March – Wednesday 9th March 2011

Included in the sale are instruments and amps by Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Martin, Music Man, to name but a few. Some of the historic amps are associated with Clapton's career from the 1970s to the present day. It is the first time that such a large and interesting collection of amps has ever been offered on the auction market.

Eric Clapton has said about the sale: "I am delighted that Bonhams have agreed to host my third guitar auction in aid of The Crossroads Centre, Antigua, the drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre I founded in 1998."

Bonhams is now accepting orders for the fully illustrated sale catalog. A discount of over 20% on the cover price is available prior to January 24th. To order, please call 1 212 644 9001 or 1 415 861 7500 or email catalogs.us@bonhams.com quoting the code name "Patrick" before 24th January 2011 (after this date, full cover price will apply). Price including postage and packing for US domestic address is $30.00 and international is $50.00 which will also allow free access to the viewing in LA and New York for two persons.

More information at www.bonhams.com/entertainment

This is for joe and everybody else. First thanks Joe, for the info on finding the Auction and posting it.Nice. I went to the Auction house web-site today and the whole catalog is on line. very cool. Although not Claptons best gear(that, he already auctioned off) there is some nice stuff there. The #1 Beano LP will be auctioned off. It says nothing about the other 4. Maybe he's waiting for a a future auction or he going to use 1 or 2 of them or give 1-2 to friends. IMO I think that these are some of Gibsons best guitars they have made in a while.Only my opinion as I have not tryed each model. But they are great guitars. if someone could send me an aged and a VOS I'll evaluate them and tell you what I think LOL !!!!! (hint, hint, Administration) !!!!!

It should be interesting to see what it sells for. Ther is also another LP from the 70's I think it was and a j200 signed. I like that 1.I might get crazy and bid. anyway, great link thanks,

Jamman

Hey Joe, Your in NY now? to cold for me.I'm a little farther south ...... Like Florida, much better this time of year.I did however spend most of my life up there. I don't miss to much of it. Even 48th. St. is 3/4 gone as far as music stores. As far as giving guitars away.... is that before or after my wife kills me? lol !!!!! I'm done buying guitars now. This last one was a big hit. Yea there are ones with nicer tops and this and that,

but it gets crazy after awhile. I have a smaller Condo so I kind of need more room to. Most will go to my Grandson, who is also into the Bass but

Will come back to the guitar one day.I'm thinking about doing another thread for group shots soon.It's just alot of work and I have my reasons for not working.I'd say in the next 2 monthes or so. should be interesting to see what the responce will be like since the change in the forum, and I still have my wicker furnicture.!!!! I be around, and GAS free.

Jamman

Archived