Gibson Brands Forums

Bit of a Conundrum

Artie Owl

Brandon, I think you should do it. If you don't you'll wonder what it would have been like if you did. We all get nervous before we play (if not, you're a robot).

You said in your initial entry that you've been taking guitar lessons now for some two and a half years. With that and what ever you've learned on your own and from

playing with other people you should be fine. If you work hard on the piece(s) your teacher gives you to play, you should do alright. I remember my first solo

recital when I was taking Classical Guitar lessons many moons ago. The other two guys my teacher picked to play that night were much more advanced than I was. I have

to admit, I was shaking like a leaf, so I know what fears you may have of playing solo. I didn't realize my teacher was going to be taking notes. My mind went blank

at a certain part in one of the pieces I was playing. So I went to the cadence and started over again. Since many of the people attending weren't exactly familiar

with the piece I was playing, it went well after that and I completed the piece with no problem. When I got my teacher's critique back she noted on that one piece,

"Nice Recovery". I think we all tend to be our own worse critics. The other two students told me I sounded absolutely great. So don't be afraid, just go enjoy yourself

and I'm sure your grandfather will be smiling down upon you with pride from heaven. Don't look at it as being older vs younger, beginning vs advanced students.

There's always going to be students better than you are and some where you're better than them. It's that way in everything. I'm sure your teacher would not have asked you if he/she weren't confident in your ability to play what he's asking you to. As the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It" and promise to have no regrets....Paul.

P.S. Let us know how you make out and how the overall experience goes with all the other students, too. Buena suerte, amigo!

Thanks for that, actually my guitar teacher won't be taking notes so I won't have that added worry haha. Actually he's making himself available to backup any student who doesn't want to be alone on the stage right away. I think I'll ask him this week what he thinks I should play based on stuff we've covered over the years. Like I said, I was interested in playing B.B King's "The Thrill is Gone", but a lot of that song relies on drums and brass, it wouldn't be a great solo guitar piece I don't think.

Thanks for that, actually my guitar teacher won't be taking notes so I won't have that added worry haha. Actually he's making himself available to backup any student who doesn't want to be alone on the stage right away. I think I'll ask him this week what he thinks I should play based on stuff we've covered over the years. Like I said, I was interested in playing B.B King's "The Thrill is Gone", but a lot of that song relies on drums and brass, it wouldn't be a great solo guitar piece I don't think.

Brandon, then see what he suggests or what you can both agree on that you like that would sound good with the both of you playing. Having him play with you can

take a bit of the pressure off you. My teacher was taking notes because I was planning on playing professionally, until I made a major mistake in my life that I'd

rather not get into at this point, but it blew my plans. I'm hoping once I retire I can go back to taking lessons. Your never to old, if you still have the passion.

Again. Best of luck. (Paul).

Brandon, go and do it. You will have SO much fun. There is nothing better than playing guitar in front of people. I haven't had the chance in a long time and I really miss it. Practice the hell outta the piece and play it like you own it, but most of all, have a great effing time up on stage!!!

Brandon, go for it!

Last December, the coffee shop I work at did a Holiday Music thing; several of the other baristas and their friends came and played, and the folks organizing it knew that i played guitar, and asked me to come and perform.

I hemmed and hawed, for a few reasons: 1, I had a torn tendon in my left arm, and just putting my arm in position to play chords was painful (I was playing as physical therapy); 2, several of the kids I work with are multi-instrumental music majors, with incredible amounts of talent and terrific voices, and two of them have been teaching guitar for years. And 3, i hadn't played in front of an audience (or with anyone else) in over twenty years.

Nervous? Oh, yeah!

Well, when I showed up, they fit me in between one of the guitar teachers and an a Capella foursome. I think there was one other person in the room within 10 years of my age. I played (all acoustic, of course) one Holiday song (Big Dead Bird, by Lou & Peter Berryman) which confused the hell out of everyone, followed it with Java Jive ("That was cool. Did you write it?" one of the 20-somethings asked me), and Nobody Knows You. ("Wow, that was a lot more bluesy than I've ever heard it! Did you learn it from the Eric Clapton record?" I didn't even know Clapton had recorded it; I learned to sing it in the early 60s, and started playing it in the late 70s.)

I only stopped because my arm wasn't working right after three songs - but what counts is that I knew I'd be surrounded by people with far more talent, playing and singing stuff THEY wanted to hear (It was the first time I'd ever heard a Lady Gaga song, that night, and don't know if I've ever heard another one.), and I did it anyway, doing MY music - and it was a hit.

I'm slowly working my arm up to the point where I can play for 45 or so minutes before the pain takes over, but it was a good night, and I'm hoping to do it again one day. I didn't get invited to play again this year, because I'm working at a different shop, but some of the kids I'm working with now have heard that I play, and want to get together some night and jam.

So my advice remains: Go for it! you will NOT regret it.

GO for it! I've seen and heard big name pros sound lousy, and they were paid big bucks to do a hell of a lot better. Like the others said, have fun with it. Your Grandfather would RESPECT you for it.

don't let them little kids discourage you. if YOU love playing music, have fun and have a good time!

I remember when I was new to the live music scene. I was scared that those other kids would kill me and drive me away from music.

the ones who supported me are the guys I play with and jam with on the weekends. the kids who "embarrassed me" are now jealous of

how superior I am over them. (LOL) do the best you can, have fun, make it fun for those around you. BEST OF LUCK!

~Beastie

Haha, thanks guys, lots of great stories here. I think I've decided to do it, now it's selecting a peice. I think I want to do it as a duet with my guitar teacher this time, at least have him playing harmony so that it's not all on me to hold up the whole room. It's on Dec 12th so if anyone takes a video I'll be sure to share.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived